Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan
University of Calicut, Kerala Ph. D. Entomology 1995
Sree Narayana College, Kollam, Kerala M.Sc. (Zoology) 1987
Sree Narayana College, Kollam, Kerala B.Sc. (Zoology) 1985
Research and Conservation Interests:
Insect taxonomy, ecology and conservation
- revitalising insect taxonomy by rightly marrying conventional taxonomy to the modern techniques and linking these efforts to conservation and sustainable management of natural resources.
-understanding the impacts of various ecosystem processes on insect diversity, in order to define conservation plans to the benefits of insect diversity.
- ‘Conservation bio-control’: An ecological and practical approach to the management of crop arthropod pests by careful landscaping and scientific manipulation of uncultivated vegetation in agro-ecosystems.
-review the conservation policies and liason with the policy makers to bring scientific rigor to make the policies robust.
Deliberative democratic approaches in conservation
The experiences have taught us that our conventional conservation paradigms are largely top down and ill suited to the current day conservation needs. Even the much celebrated participatory / joint conservation efforts are not different.
I try to address some of the conservation issues faced by Vembanad Lake (Kerala)- the largest tropical wetland ecosystem on the southwest coast of India and a designated Ramsar site , through a deliberative democratic process. In the process of deliberative democratic conservation the conservation, policies and priortisation are done through consensus evolved through deliberations among various stakeholders and transfer of responsibility over its harvest and management to them. (pl. see http://www.vembanad.org for details)
- April 2010- Senior Fellow & Program Leader (Ecosystems & Global Change), Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment, Bangalore.
- April 2009- Senior Fellow, Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment, Bangalore.
- April 1999-March 2009: Fellow, Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment, Bangalore.
- June1998-March1999: Senior Research Associate, Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment, Bangalore.
- Nov. 1997-May 98 :Research Associate, University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore.
- Nov.1995-Oct. 97 : Working on the Post PhD publications (monograph, Fig insects of Kerala and other research papers).
Also was working as Hatchery Technician (Part-time consultant) at the BFFDA Shrimp Hatchery at Neendakara (Kollam).
- Nov 1989- Oct 95 : Research Scholar. University of Calicut, Kerala.
- April 1987-Oct 1989: Lecturer (Jyothy College, Sasthankotta, Kollam and Nalanda Academy, Anchalummood, Kollam.
Ph.D. Guide for Manipal University (Manipal, Karnataka), a Deemed University for:
- Insect Taxonomy
- Conservation Ecology and Management
- Integrated Pest Management
Mentoring Students and scholars
Ph.D. Research Supervision
- Ravi Ramalingam (Conservation Biology)
Insect community responses to ecological restoration in tropical forests
- Anirudh Marathe (Conservation Biology)
- Seena Narayanan (As co-supervisor through Kannur University)
Studies on the biosystematics of Dung Beetles (Scarabaeinae: Scarabaeidae: Coleoptera) of the Western Ghats, India.
Post Graduate Disertation
- Praseetha, M.(2010-11),(Dept. of Zoology, Kannur University, Kerala);on A Preliminary Study on the Status of Paddy and Wetland Conservation in Waynad (Kerala).[supervised with Dr. Siddhartha Krishnan].
- Anitha George,(2010-11),(Dept. of Zoology, Kannur University, Kerala); Health Implications of Pesticide use in Paddy Fields of Waynad (Kerala) and its Gender Perspectives.[supervised with Dr. Siddhartha Krishnan].
- Ashkarali, T.(2010-11),(Dept. of Zoology, Kannur University, Kerala); Studies on Sand mining in Kabani River, its Environmental and Social Implications & Effectiveness of Regulatory Policies.[supervised with Dr. Siddhartha Krishnan].
- Nisha. P.V.(2009-10),(Dept. of Zoology, Kannur University, Kerala); Dung Beetle Diversity Responses to Land use Changes in Wayanad.
- Misvar Ali. K.(2009-10),(Dept. of Zoology, Kannur University, Kerala); Dung Beetle (Scarabaeidae: Scarabaeinae) at an altitudinal gradient of Evergreen Forest in Kuttiyadi Churam, Wayanad, Kerala.
- Jayarajan. K.(2009-10),(Dept. of Zoology, Kannur University, Kerala); Dung Beetle (Scarabaeidae: Scarabaeinae) at an altitudinal gradient of Evergreen Forest in Periya Churam, Wayanad, Kerala.
- Mr. Prakash, M.(2006) (Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS), Dehradun)
Ecological Niche modeling (ENM) of Endemic Ficus spp. in Southern Western Ghats
- Mr. Bipin Charles (2005)(Bio-informatics; Sikkim Manipal University)
Mapping Distribution patterns and Habitat Evaluation of Dung beetle (Heliocopris dominus) in Southern Western Ghats.
- Ms. Rosalind Anne Kieran (2003)(Imperial College, London)
What Are The Drivers Of Degradation Of Forests Surrounding Rice Paddy Farms In Sringeri, India. (Co-guide with Dr. Jose I. dos R. Furtado of Imperial college and and Dr Seema Purushothaman of ATREE, Bangalore)
Ph.D. Research Advisory Committees
- Ms. Deepa, B. (Forest Research Institute, Deemed university, Dehradun) Topic:Evaluation of the anti-insect bioactivity of botanicals from forest flora for forest pest management.
- Mr. T.S. Dange, I.F.S. (Forest Research Institute, Deemed university, Dehradun) Topic: Dynamics of insect populations in agro forestry systems.
- Vivek, R. (Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment, ATREE) Topic:Canopy structure and its effects on the bird and non-volant small mammal community of a rainforest in Southern India (on going).
- Eléonore Martin (Ecole Nationale Superieure d’Agronomie et d’Industries Alimentaires, (E.N.S.A.I.A.) Nancy, France): Behavioral observation of insects visiting cardamom flowers in the rain season.
- Divya, B.U.: Documenting the traditional knowledge of paddy farmers of Malnad Area of Karnataka.
- Annapoorna (Dept. fo Zoology, Mangalore University, Karnatka): Diversity of ground dwelling ants along the altitudinal gradients in certain parts of the central Western Ghats in Karnataka.
- Vidya, P. (April-May 2004)(Dept. fo Zoology, University of Calicut, Kerala):Impacts of landuse changes of ‘urban Islands’ in dung beetle diversity
- Vasantha Kumar, D.(April-May 2007) (Dept. of Zoology, Bharathiar University, Tamil Nadu): Insect diversity of Wyanad forests of Western Ghats (Kerala)
- Arvind, T.A.(April-May 2008) (Dept. of Zoology, University of Calicut, Kerala): Ground dwelling insect biodiversity of different shade coffe plantations in Coorge.
- Vishakha, R.Chiplunker (Sept.2008-May2009)(Dept. of Zoology, MS University, Baroda, Gujarat):A review of impacts of global climate change on biodiversity
- Athira V. Raj (April-May, 2011)(Summer Research Fellow, Indian academy of Sciences)
- Saranya, M.K. (April-May, 2011) (Summer Research Fellow, Indian academy of Sciences)
- Shyamna(Nov. 2011-) (Dept. of Zoology, University of Calicut, Kerala)
- Sinu, P.A. (Feb.2001-Aug. 2005):Influence of different land use corridors on pests and natural enemy guilds of paddy agro-ecosystems.
- Ms. Merry Zacharias (Dec.2002-Dec. 2004) Pipilika: Pipilika: An identification and information system for the ant fauna of South India.
- Sindhu, M. K. (Feb.2004-June 2004):Importance of ‘urban Islands’ in conserving insect diversity.
- Ravi Ramalingam(Jun.2004-Feb.2005) :Importance of ‘urban Islands’ in conserving insect diversity.
- Vidya, P. (Dec.2005-Nov.2007) Western Ghats Insect Inventory Program.
- Kadeeja, C.K. (Dec.2005-Feb.2007) Western Ghats Insect Inventory Program.
- Deepak Dayanandan (Vemband Wetland Conservation Program)
- Shali, N. (Feb. 2006_2009) Western Ghats Insect Inventory Program.
- Vasantha Kumar, D. (Jul.2008-Sept.2009) Western Ghats Insect Inventory Program.
- Arvind, T.A. (Jan. 2009-Dec.2009) Western Ghats Insect Inventory Program.
- Seena Narayanan (Oct.2008-) Western Ghats Insect Inventory Program.
- Aditya Bhaskaran (April 2009-)
- Manjusha M.B (June 2010-Oct.2010)
Other Program Staff
Dr. Latha Bhaskar (June 2007-Oct.2010)(Project Coordinator, Vemband Wetland Conservation Program)
Jojo, T.D. (Nov.2006- )(Project Coordinator, Vemband Wetland Conservation Program)
Krishna Kumar, K.(June 2009-)(Project Officer, Vemband Wetland Conservation Program)
Sunitha (Office Assistant, Vemband Wetland Conservation Program)
Poove, K.M.(Project Asst., Vemband Wetland Conservation Program)
As Principal Investigator
- Community based institutions for decentralized management of the water resources for the water security and to address immediate issue of the drinking water and sanitation crisis in Kuttanad, Alleppey, Kerala. (Kuttanad Package, Government of Kerala)
- Community based Fish Sanctuaries for Sustainable Fishery in Vembanad Lake, Kerala (Kuttanad Package, Government of Kerala)
- Survey and inventory of ecologically and economically important lesser known insect taxa of Western Ghats (Western Ghats Insect Inventory Program). (Along with Prof. Mike Irwin, Univ. of Illinois; Financial support for this project comes Schindler Foundation, USA,)
- Strengthening Communities and Institutions for Sustainable Management of Vembanad Backwaters, Kerala. (A grant from Mr. Shibulal, Infosys, India).
As Co-Principal Investigator
- Conservation and Management of Pollinators for sustainable agriculture through Ecosystem Approach, (Alongwith Dr. Soubadra Devy (PI), Mohammed Irfanullah and Seema, P Food and Agriculture Organisation of United Nations(FAO)).
- Development of a Metarhizium based biopesticide for the management of major forest pests in plantations and nurseries.(Along with Dr. T.O. Sasidharan (PI) & Dr. O.K. Ramadevy (IWST, Bangalore; Dept. of Biotechnology, India).
- Investigations on Microsporidia affecting major Lepidopteran pests of important forest trees of South India and their prospects as bio-control agents. (Along with Dr. T.O. Sasidharan (PI) & Dr. O.K. Ramadevy (IWST, Bangalore; Dept. of Science and Technology, India)
Priyadarsanan, D.R, 2000 Fig insects of Kerala , Rec. zool. Surv. India, Occ. Paper No,182 : i -iv,1-175pp(Published: Director, ZSI, Calcutta).
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, Soubhadra Devy, N.A. Aravind, and K. Subramanian (eds.) 2009. Invertebrate Diversity and Conservation in Western Ghats (to be published shortly)
LathaBhaskar, Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan and Kiran, M.C. (ed.) 2008. Jalapaadom Neerthada Padanasahayi (A Handbook on wetland Conservation Education) Pub. Community Environmental Resource Centre, ATREE, Alappuzha.
Merry Zacharias, Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, Ricky Jacob and M.C. Kiran, 2009. Pipilika, an interactive key for identification and relational database of ants of Western Gahts, Pub. ATREE (To be released shortly)
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, Latha Bhaskar, Kiran, M.C. and Siddhartha Krishnan (eds) 2008. Vol1(1) VEMBAND ‘a newsletter for the Vembanad wetland Conservation’.
Prathapan, K.D and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2011,Biological Diversity : A Common Heritage.Economic & Political weekly, XLVI (14) 15-17(http://epw.in/epw/uploads/articles/15899.pdf).
Prathapan, K.Divakaran and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2011, Biodiversity access and benefit sharing: weaving a rope of sand! Current Science, 100 (3)290-293(http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/10feb2011/290.pdf)
Seena Narayanan Karimbumkara and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2010. Dung beetles of Karnataka (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae Scarabaeinae:: Coleoptera) (In Press).
Remadevi, O.K., Sasidharan, T.O., Jayeeta Bhattacharya, Charles R. Vossbrinck and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2010. Some pathological effects and transmission potential of a microsporidian isolate (Nosema sp.) from the teak defoliator Hyblaea puera Lepidoptera : Hyblaeidae). International Journal of Tropical Insect Science Vol. 30 (3), 138–144.
Adithya Bhaskaran and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2010. Advancing the Science of Taxonomy in India, Current Science,99(2),157-158(www.ias.ac.in/currsci/25jul2010/157.pdf).
Prathapan, K.D. and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2009. Biological Diversity Act, 2002: Threat to Agricultural Production and Food Security! Current Science, 97 (5), 626-629(www.ias.ac.in/currsci/sep102009/626.pdf).
Ravi Ramalingam and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2009. A Study on ground insect community responses to habitat restoration efforts in the Attappady hills, Western Ghats (India). Current Science,97(6):935-941(www.ias.ac.in/currsci/sep252009/935.pdf).
Prathapan, K.D. and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2009. Protectionism and natural history research in India, Current Science 97 (10), 1411-1413 (www.ias.ac.in/currsci/nov252009/1411.pdf).
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan and Prathapan Divakaran, 2009. Shared ownership of biological resources, Science, 324 (5930) : 1014-15 (www.sciencemag.org/content/324/5930/1014.3.short).
Sasidharan, T.O., O.K. Remadevi, A. Anitha Rani, Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan and Jayeetha Bhattacharya (2008). New record of a Microsporidian parasite from the Teak defoliator, Hyblaea puera Cramer (Lepidoptera : Hyblaeidae). Hexapoda. 15, 97-101.
Sasidharan, T.O., O.K. Remadevi, R. Usha Rani, Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan and N. Sapna Bai (2008). Evaluation of cultural characteristics and pathogenicity of some isolates of Metarhizium anisopliae against teak defoliator, Hyblaea puera Cramer. Uttar Pradesh J. Zoology, 29(2):143-148.
Sapna Bai, N., T.O. Sasidharan, O. K. Remadevi, Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan and M. Balachander (2008). Efficacy of Metarhizium isolates against the polyphagous defoliator pest, Spilarctia obliqua Walker (Lepidoptera: Arctiidae) on forestry species. J. Tropical Forest Science, 22(1): 74–80.
Prathapan, K. D., Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, T. C. Narendran, C. A. Viraktamath, N. A. Aravind and J. Poorani. 2008. Death sentence on taxonomy in India. Current Science 94(2):170-171(www.ias.ac.in/currsci/jan252008/170.pdf).
Sinu, Palatty Allesh, Nasser, M. and Dharmarajan, Priyadarsanan (2007) 'Host searching behavior and potential of an aquatic ichneumonid pupal parasitoid of rice caseworm (Parapoynx stagnalis) in an upland rice paddy agro-ecosystem of the Western Ghats, India', Biocontrol Science and Technology, 17:10, 1037 – 1045.
Prathapan, K. D., Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, T. C. Narendran, C. A. Viraktamath, K. A. Subramanyan, N. A. Aravind and J. Poorani. 2006. Biological Diversity Act, 2002: Shadow of permit-raj over research, Current Science,91 (8),1006-1007 (www.ias.ac.in/currsci/oct252006/1006.pdf).
M. D. Madhusudan, Kartik Shanker, Ajith Kumar, Charudutt Mishra, Anindya Sinha,Rohan Arthur, Aparajita Datta, Mahesh Rangarajan, Ravi Chellam, Ghazala Shahabuddin,Ravi Sankaran, Mewa Singh, Uma Ramakrishnan and P. D. Rajan. 2006. Science in the wilderness: the predicament of scientific research in India’s wildlife reserves. Current Science,91 (8),1015-1019 (http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/oct252006/1015.pdf).
Seema Purushothaman and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2005, Upland paddies, foliage hillocks and multi-storied horticulture: an ecologically sustainable agroecosystem. The Asia-Pacific Agroforestry Newsletter No. 27, 11-17.
Narendran, T.C., K. Sudheer, P.A. Sudheer and D.R. Priyadarsanan, (2006). A new genus of Chalcidae (Hymenoptera:Chalcidoidea) from Karnataka, India. J. Ecobiol. 18(2) 155-159.
Sinu, P.A., Nasser, M. and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan (2006)Feeding Guild and Foraging habits of Tiger Beetles found in Agro-ecosystems in Western Ghats, India, Biotropica,38(4): 500–507.
Merry Zacharias and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan (2004) Vombisidris humboldticola (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) a new arboreal ant species from an Indian ant plant. Curr. Sci. 87, (10): 1337-1338. (http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/nov252004/1337.pdf)
Merry Zacharias and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan (2004) Discothyrea sringerensis (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) a new ant species from India. Zootaxa 484: 1–4. (http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2004f/z00484f.pdf)
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, Merry Zhacharias and Musthak ali, T.M. (2006). Ants (Formicidae). In Fauna of Biligiri Rangan WLS, Fauna of Biligiri Rangaswamy Temple Sanctuary, Conservation Area Series No. 27,153-188. Pub. Zoo. Surv, of India, Calcutta.
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, (2006). Dung beetles (Scarabaeidae). Biligiri Rangan WLS, Fauna of Biligiri Rangaswamy Temple Sanctuary, Conservation Area Series No27, 91-135. Pub. Zoo. Surv, of India, Calcutta.
Zacharias, M. and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan (2003) Pipilika: An identification and information system for the ant fauna of South India, Building Capacity in Biodiversity information Sharing, 2003, (Ed. Junko Shimura), 94-98.
T.C Narendran, P.A. Sinu and Priyadarsanan, D.R. (2003). A new genus and a new species of Tetrastichinae (Hymenoptera: Eulophidae) from India. Paper accepted for Uttar pradesh journal of Entomology (in press).
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, K.N. Ganeshaiah, R. Uma Shaanker 2001. Impact of human-induced disturbance on the diversity of dung beetles (Coleoptera : Scarabaeidae) and ants (Hymenoptera:Formicidaae). In Tropical Ecosystems: Structure Diversity and Human Welfare. Proceedings of the International conference on Tropical Ecosystems. K.N Ganeshaiah, R. Uma Shaanker and K.S. Bawa (eds) Pub. Oxford-IBH, New Delhi. 2001. pp129-132.
Priyadarsanan, D.R. ,1999a A new species of agaonid wasp (Hymenoptera, Chalcidoidea) pollinating Ficus krishnae C. DC (Moraceae) .Journal, Bombay. Nat. Hist. Society. 96(1): 106-110.
Priyadarsanan, D.R. , 1999b Ficus superba (miq) and F. fergusoni (King) Worthington (Moraceae) , two new reports to India. Journal, Bombay. Nat. Hist. Society.
Priyadarsanan, D. R. , Musthak Ali, Uma Shaanker, R. and Ganeshaiah, K.N. 1998 Ants at BR Hills in Biligiri Renganaswamy Temple Wildlife Sanctuary , Natural History, Biodiversity and conservation, ATREE & VGKK, Bangalore p.12
Priyadarsanan, D.R. & U.C. Abdurahiman, 1997a Descriptions of three new species of Platyscapa Motscoulsky (Hymenoptera : Chalcidoidea, Agaonidae) from India . Proc. Kon. Ned. Akad. V. Wetensch. 100(1-2), 171-180.
Priyadarsanan, D.R. & U.C. Abdurahiman, 1997b Two new species of Agaonidae (Chalcidoidea:Hymenoptera) from Ficus mollis Vahl. (Moraceae) . Entomon 22 (3&4): 213-216.
Priyadarsanan, D.R. & U.C. Abdurahiman, 1994. A Two new species of fig wasps (Hymenoptera : Agaonidae) from Kerala, India. Entomon 19 (1): 29-33.
Priyadarsanan, D.R. & U.C. Abdurahiman, 1994b Addendum to the paper “Two new species of fig wasps (Hymenoptera : Agaonidae) from Kerala, India” . Entomon. 19(2&3).
Papers in Proceedings /Book Chapters
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2011. Hiding amidst the canopy….In: Soubadra Devy, M., T. Ganesh and Amrita Tripathy (eds.)Forest Canopies of South Asia-A glimpse. ATREE, Bangalore, pp. 36-37.
Mrugank V. Prabhu, R. Ganesan, Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan& M. Soubadra Devy, 2011. Epiphytic root mats: The insect adobe. In: Soubadra Devy, M., T. Ganesh and Amrita Tripathy (eds.)Forest Canopies of South Asia-A glimpse. ATREE, Bangalore, pp. 41-42.
Seena Narayanan Karimbumkara and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2010. Western Ghats is home to half of Indian dung beetles! In “Biodiversity of the Western Ghats”, A compendium of Indian Biodiversity Congress, Thiruvananathapuram.
Ravi Ramalingam and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan. 2009. Devoloping concepts for assessing the “Success” of forest landscape restoration. In: National seminar on bioresources and its management for food, livelihood and environmental security pp, 148-152. Proceedings of the 20th all India Congress of Zoology, Mumbai, India.
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, Siddhartha Krishnan, Kiran, M.C., Latha Bhasker, Deepak, D., Jojo. T.D., 2008.Strengthening Communities and Institutions for Sustainable Management of heavily used Vembanad Backwaters of Kerala, (India). Proceedings of First SWS Chapter’s 2008 Asian Wetland Convention.
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2008,Strengthening Communities and Institutions for Sustainable Management of heavily used Aquatic Ecosystems w.r.t. Vembanad Backwaters (Proceedings of Environmental Management for Sustainable Livelihood, S.N.College, Chertala, Kollam In press).
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, Seema Purushothaman, Siddhartha Krishnan, Kiran, M.C., Deepak, D., Jojo. T.D., 2008.Strengthening Communities and Institutions for Sustainable Management of heavily used Vembanad Backwaters of Kerala, (India). Senguptha, M., Dalwani, R. Proceedings of Tall 2007 : The 12th World Lake Conference.pp. 1158-1163, http://wldb.ilec.or.jp/data/ilec/wlc12/L%20-%20Institutional%20Mechanisu....
D. Vasantha Kumar and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan,2007.Insect Diveristy in the Waynad Forests, Western Ghats, Kerala , ( Proceedings of the National seminar on " Emergign scenarios of Zoology " , National College, Trichy Eds.Sivasamy,P, Asok Kumar,C.,Uma,K.,Hussainy, H.S.H. and V.Gokula).
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2001. A Red List for Habitats and Green List for Species in 'Scientific tools for biodiversity conservation: monitoring, modelling and experiments' Proceedings of the 5th meeting of the European Platform for Biodiversity Research Strategy 2-4 December 2001 – Brussels (eds) Segers, H., Branquart, E., Caudron, A., & Tack, J. , 75-76. http://www.kora.ch/malme/05_library/5_1_publications/S/Segers_et_al_2001...).
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan and Prathapan, K.D., 2010, Water in a sieve , Down to Earth, Oct 15 (http://www.downtoearth.org.in/node/123/2010-10-15).
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan and Prathapan, K.D., 2010, Let the genes cross the borders, Down to Earth, 18 (16)(http://www.downtoearth.org.in/node/724).
Siddhartha Krishnan and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2008. Vembanad: The Travails of a Water Scape. Down to Earth (http://www.downtoearth.org.in/node/4473).
Siddhartha Krishnan and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2008. View Point, Vembanad is dirty and Polluted, Central Cronicle, April, 26, 2008.
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan , 2008. ANTS (Formicidae) of Western Ghats : in The Western Ghats, CD ROM (eds) Meera Anna Oommen, Saravanakumar and Kartik Shanker.
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan , 2008. Ficus : in The Western Ghats, CD ROM (eds) Meera Anna Oommen, Saravanakumar and Kartik Shanker.
Priyadarsanan, D. R. 2001. Care a Fig in Deccan Herald Oct.
Priyadarsanan, D.R. 1997. Daridryavum Vikasanavum (Poverty and Development) in the Journal of Quilon Public library (Swarna Jayanthy Special)1997 (In Malayalam).
- Elected as member of Fresh Water Working Group (FWWG 2011-12) of Society for Conservation Biology.
- Regional Coordinator (S. Asia) for the International Symposium on Biological Control of Arthropods (ISBCA), held in Christ Church (New Zealand) in 2009, and was invited as a keynote speaker to it.
- Expert committee member to the Kannur University, Board of studies on MSc (Conservation Science & Management )
Meetings Attended, Abstracts Published/Presentations
International Conference on “Sustainable Ornamental Fisheries –Way Forward (SOFI-WF: 2012) organised by School of Industrial Fisheries, Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kochi, Kerala (India) on March 23-25 at Gokulam Convention Centre (Invited Speaker).
Consultation workshop on Challenges for Fish taxonomy in India, Organised By Conservation Research Group on 26th January 2012, (Invited Speaker).
Asian Wetland Symposium (AWS) On Integrated Biodiversity Conservation: Linking forests and wetlands at Kota Kinabalu , Sabah, Malaysia,, 18-20 July 2011.
Global Entomology Conference (GEC 2011)Organised by Century Foundation, in Chiang Mai, Thailand, 4-9 March 2011.
Indian Biodiversity Congress (IBC 2010), organised by CISSA in Thiruvananthapuram, 27-31 December 2010, (Invited speaker).
Post CBD- COP 10 Assessment of Access and Benefit Sharing, organized by Kalpavriksh, GRAIN and PANOS South Asia in New Delhi on Nov 9, 2010,(Invited speaker).
Consultation workshop on ‘Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules, 2009.Organised by the Kerala State Council for Science, Technology and Environment (KSCSTE) at Sasthra Bhavan, Thiruvnanthspuram on 9th June 2010(Invited speaker.
State Level Consultation Workshop on Inland Fishery Bill 2010. Hotel Royale Senate Alappuzha, 8th June 2010 (Moderator).
National Consultation Meeting on Biodiversity Act 2002, Organissed By National Biodiversity Authority, Chennai,
UNESCO IYB Biodiversity Science-Policy Conference, UNESCO Head quarters, Paris, 25 to 29 January 2010. (Invited Speaker) and gave a talk on Taxonomy as an Interdisciplinary Science for Human Well-being (http://www.unesco.org/mab/doc/iyb/scConf/Priyan_india.pdf )
International Conference on Emerging Trends in Environmental Research (ICETER 2009), Conservation research Group, St. Albert’s College, Kochi 682 018 (Feb.14th 2009) (Key Note Speaker)
A National Seminar on Converging Sciences for Quality Life, at Mount Carmel college, Bangalore (Invited speaker).
T.O. Sasidharan, O.K. Remadevi, Dharmarajan Priyadarsanan, and Bhattacharya Jayeeta (2009)Prospects of Microsporidia for Biological Control of the Teak Defoliator, Hyblaea puera Cramer (Lepidoptera :Hyblaeidae). Integrated Pest Management: for our Enviornment, for our future (Eds.)George F. Cz apar, Thomas A. Green, Carrie L apaire Harmon. 6th International IPM Symposium, Illinois, USA.
Symposium on Functional Biodiversity and Ecophysiology of Animals Banarus Hindu University, Varanasi, 21-23February, 2009. (Keynote speaker)
A regional dialogue on implementation of Biodiversity Act and priorities for biodiversity conservation and sustainable utilization and benefit shareing,a t Indian Institute of Management, Ahmadabad on 1st February 2009.
First SWS Chapter’s 2008 Asian Wetland Convention
National Seminar cum Workshop on “Conservation and Inventerization Soil Biota” K.S.R College of Arts and Science, Tiruchengode, Tamil Nadu, 10- 12h March 2007. (Key note speaker)
XVI Annual Conference of Indian Association of Angiosperm Taxonomy (IAAT) And International Seminar on Present Trends and Future Prospects of Angiosperm Systematics At Agharkar Research Institute Pune October 4-6, 2006.
Participated and Organised Panel Discussion: Biodiversity Act and Taxonomic research.
The Annual Meeting of the Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation (ATBC,2006) July 18-21, 2006, Harbour Plaza Hotel,Kunming , China. (Participated and presented a paper)
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2006. How do Scarabs (Scarabaeinae : Coleoptera) surrogate the Rest? Land use change and dung beetle communities in the heavily used forests of Sringeri, Karnataka Western Ghats.
Seventh International Fig Symposium at Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden 23-26 July 2006. (Participated and presented a paper)
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2006. Are short styled flowers designed to be CIBO-DOMATIA?
“Integrating biodiversity science for human well-being” DIVERSITAS Open Science Conference from 9 to 12 November 2005, Oaxaca, Mexico.
(Participated and presented a paper)
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan & Sinu, P.A. 2005. Impacts of stand simplification of village forests on the natural enemy guilds of paddy agro-ecosystems of Karnataka Western Ghats (India).
ScarabNet Annual Meeting, Oct.2-4, Archbold Biological Station, Ft. Lauderdale
(Participated and presented a paper)
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2005, Land use change and dug beetle communities in the heavily used forests of Sringeri, Karnataka Western Ghats
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, Mohammed Irfan-Ullah, Bipin Charles, Townsend Peterson 2005. Predictive Modeling and Habitat Suitability Analysis for Heliocorpris dominus Bates a rare dung beetle of Western Ghats for Conservation Prioritization.
Western Ghats Forum Meeting, Dec 2nd-3rd 2005, IFGTB, Coimbatore
(Participated and Organised Symposium : Invertebrate conservation in Western Ghats.
Organised Panel Discussion: Biodiversity Act and Taxonomic research.
Presented a paper :Priyadarsanan dharma Rajan, 2005. Red list for habitats and green lists for species: a top down Strategy for conserving invertebrates.
National Congress of Entomology March 1-3, 2006, Pujabi Univeristy, Patiala
Participated and Organised Panel Discussion: Biodiversity Act and Entomology Research
Presented a Paper: Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2005.Conserving Insects: Do we need a top down strategy?
XIV Annual Conference of Indian Association for Angiosperm Taxonomy (IAAT) and National seminar on New frontiers in Plant taxonomy and Biodiversity conservation, at Thiruvananthapuram, December 2004
(Participated and presented a paper)
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2004. Red list for habitats and green lists for species: a top down strategy for conserving the lesser known
‘Expanding the Ark: The Emerging Science and Practice of Invertebrate Conservation" at the American Museum of Natural History, 25th and 26th March, 2004.
(Participated and presented a poster}
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2004. Red list for habitats and green lists for species: a top down Strategy for conserving invertebrates
A Special Symposium of the British Ecological Society & the Annual Meeting of the Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation (ATBC,2003) University of Aberdeen 7-10 July 2003
(Participated and presented 2 papers and one poser)
Priyadarsanan D. R., Sinu, P.A. & S. Lele, 2003. Do ants surrogate the rest? A comparison of ant and general insect diversity through a landuse trajectory. (Oral)
Sinu, P.A., Hisham, J.T. & Priyadarsanan D. R. Impact of invasive species, Lantana camara (Verbenaceae) on ground insect diversity in moist and dry deciduous forests of BRT Wildlife Sanctuary, India. (Oral)
Priyadarsanan D. R and Merry Zacharias . Prioritising areas within a national park for conserving insect diversity by using ants as indicators
National Symposium on Sustainable Insect Pest Management February 6-7, 2003 At Entomology Research Institute Loyola College, Chennai - 600 034
(participated and presented one paper)
XII Annual Conference of the Indian Association for Angiosperm Taxonomy and the National Seminar on Biodiversity, Conservation and Taxonomy of Tropical Flowering Plants(27-29 Nov, 1998, Goa)
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan: Evolution of Ficus (Moraceae): An entomological
XXVII Annual conference of the Ethological Society of India and All India Symposium on Wildlife (March 25-27, 2002 (Thiruvananthapuram)
(participated and presented one paper two abstracts were published)
Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2002. Effects of landuse change on litter insect community in Sringeri forests, Karnataka. (presented).
Sinu, P.A. and Priyadarsanan Dharma Rajan, 2002. Diversity and habitat preference of the flies (Diptera) of Sringeri and Nagarhole forests of Karnataka.
Workshop on “Research Priorities in Tropical Rainforests in India”, (27-28 Feb, 2001, Coimbatore)
Participated and presented a paper on ‘Insect conservation : An introduction”
VIII Annual Conference of the Indian Association for Angiosperm Taxonomy and the National Seminar on Biodiversity, Conservation and Taxonomy of Tropical Flowering Plants(27-29 Nov, 1998, Calicut)
Priyadarsanan, D. R. 1998. Systematics of the Ficus (Moraceae) of Kerala with an entomological perspective.
Sahithya Sameepana Silpasala (a workshop on New approaches to language and literature) (20-24, Jan, 1993, Calicut)
Participated as a resource person and delivered a speech on “Bhashayude swadheenam Sasthrathil’ (Influence of language on science).
XXII Annual meeting of Ethological Society of India and All India symposium on Ethology and Wildlife (6-8 Dec, Silent Valley , Kerala)
Priyadarsanan, D. R. 1993. Male fighting behaviour in Otitesella digitata Westwood (Otitesellinae :Agaonidae)
XX Annual meeting of Ethological Society of India and Seminar on Animal behaviour, ( 14-16 Oct, 1991, Bangalore)
Priyadarsanan, D. R. 1991. Studies on pollination ethology in Ficus hispida L. by Ceratosolen marchali Mayr (Agaonidae: Hymenoptera).
P.A. Sinu, Hisham, J.T. and Priyadarsanan, D.R. (2003). Impact of an invasive species Lantana camara L. (Verbenaceae) on ground insect diversity in Moist and dry deciduous forests of BRT wildlife sanctuary. Abstarct in 28th Symposium of Ethological Society of India, held at Kalakkad-Mundanthurai Tiger reserve, Tirunelveli Feb 6-8.
Western Ghats: Conservation and human welfare (Organized by the Western Ghats Forum (WGF) September 22nd-24th, 2003, at Bangalore)
Workshop on Eco-informatics (Organised by ATREE, Bangalore, UAS, Bangalore and University of Massachusetts, Boston, 9-11, June 2003, at Bangalore)
World submit on Sustainable Development: Southern regional Consultation. (Organised by Ministry of Environment and Forests, GoI and Centre for Environmental Education (CEE), on February 13, 2002, at Bangalore)
Training workshop on “EcoPort”, Organised by UAS (Bangalore), ICAP,(Bangalore) and FAO (Rome) on February 14th 2002, at Bangalore)
Eco-Informatics Workshop Organised by Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE), Bangalore University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS), Bangalore University of Massachusetts (U MASS), Boston and Indo-US Science and technology forum (Chancery hotelB Bangalore: 9 – 11 June 2003