Applications Invited for PhD in Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies
The ATREE Academy invites applications for two doctoral research fellowships in Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies. The programme is recognised by the Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) and is one of the few programmes in India that provides students interdisciplinary training in the natural sciences and social sciences to conduct research and practice on biodiversity conservation and sustainable development.
The two fellowships will specifically investigate (i) the viability of using Nature-based Solutions (NbS) in an urbanising catchment and, (ii) the interrelationship between ecological flows and human wellbeing in the Western Ghats. This research will be conducted under the supervision of Priyanka Jamwal and Siddhartha Krishnan respectively.
Students with prior training in any branch of the social, natural, or engineering sciences are eligible to apply. Selected students will undergo coursework for three semesters, after which they will conduct independent research on the topics listed above. The students will receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 31,000 (pre-registration) and Rs.35,000 (post-registration) for a period of three years. Contingency support for research at Rs. 50,000 per year for two years will also be provided. ATREE fosters diversity and gender equity at the workplace; women and persons from underprivileged groups are especially encouraged to apply. The Academy will follow ATREE’s affirmative action policy during the PhD selection process.
Admission and Eligibility
- The candidate must have a Master’s degree in any social science, natural science or engineering discipline and have secured a minimum of 55% or equivalent.
- Applicants will appear for an entrance exam in ATREE on September 8, 2021.
- Candidates who have qualified for UGC-CSIR (minimum NET), GATE, ICSSR or equivalent exams, or have an MPhil degree are not required to take the entrance exam and will directly qualify for the interview.
Candidates seeking admission for the PhD programme at ATREE should submit the following documents:
- Updated CV
- A completed application form
- A statement of purpose in the applicant’s own words that highlights her/his interest in the proposed research and broader research and career goals (maximum 1000 words).
- Confidential reference letters from two referees, sent directly by the referees to the address below by email or post.
Applicants should submit completed applications and all supporting documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to the address listed below by August 31, 2021. Candidates submitting their applications by email should indicate ‘Application for PhD Fellowship -1’ or ‘Application for PhD Fellowship -2’ in the subject line of the email; those submitting their applications by post should superscribe the envelope. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Shortlisted applicants will have to appear for an interview at ATREE, Bangalore. The academic year will begin on October 04, 2021.
Academy for Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies,
Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
Royal Enclave, Srirampura, Jakkur, Bangalore 560 064
Email: email@example.com Phone: +91-80-23635555 Extn: 121