Applications Invited for PhD in Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies
ATREE invites applications for admission to the 2023 intake of its doctoral research programme in Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies. The programme is recognized by the Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) and is one of the few programmes in India that provides students interdisciplinary training in the natural sciences, social sciences to conduct research on biodiversity conservation and sustainable development.
ATREE’s research covers the broad themes of biodiversity conservation, environment, and development. Thematic areas include conservation biology and planning; forest governance and livelihoods; ecosystem services and well-being; hydrology and water resources; energy and climate change mitigation; food security; and development and environmental change. Students will be required to identify a potential supervisor at the time of admission and should visit the webpages of the faculty (listed below) who are accepting students this year to learn more about their research.
Dr. Aravind Madhyastha Dr. Priyanka Jamwal Dr. G. Ravikanth
Dr. Shrinivas Badiger Dr. Siddappa Setty R Dr. Seshadri KS
Dr. Asmita Sengupta Dr. Saloni Bhatia Dr. Rajkamal Goswami
ATREE Fellowship: Two selected candidates will be eligible to receive a Fellowship from ATREE, which will be available for a period of three years (Rs. 31,000 pre-registration; Rs. 35,000 post-registration). Faculty advisors will work closely with their students to obtain fellowship and research funding after the 3rd year to enable students to complete the program successfully.
JRF Fellowships: Applications are also invited from students holding assured CSIR-JRF, UGC-JRF funding or awarded DST-INSPIRE Fellowship 2022-23. A limited number of candidates will be selected.
Students with prior training in any branch of the social, natural, or engineering sciences and humanities are welcome to apply for the program.
Selected students will undergo coursework for three semesters, after which they will conduct independent research under the guidance of an advisory committee, chaired by the faculty advisor. ATREE fosters diversity and gender equity at the workplace; women and persons from underprivileged groups are especially encouraged to apply. ATREE’s affirmative action policy will be followed during the PhD selection process.
Admission and Eligibility
- The candidate must have a Master’s degree in any social science, natural science, or engineering discipline and have secured a minimum of 55% marks or equivalent.
- JRF fellowship candidates must have valid CSIR-JRF or UGC‐JRF funding. DST-INSPIRE Fellowship - 2022 awardees must submit their provisional award letters.
- Candidates seeking admission to the PhD program at ATREE should submit the following documents:
- Updated CV
- A completed application form
- Copies of CSIR-JRF or UGC-JRF award letters, degree certificates, or provisional degree certificate, and Master’s course mark sheets.
- A written statement of purpose in the applicant’s own words, highlighting his or her research and career goals (maximum 1000 words).
- Confidential reference letters from two referees, sent directly by the referees to the address below by email or post.
Applicants should submit completed applications and all supporting documents by email to email@example.com or post to the address listed below by 8th May, 2023. Candidates submitting their applications by email should indicate ‘Application for PhD programme-2023’ in the subject line of the email; those submitting their applications by post should superscribe the envelope. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Shortlisted applicants will have to appear for an interview at ATREE, Bangalore. The academic year will begin on 1st August 2023.
Academy for Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies,
Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
Royal Enclave, Srirampura, Jakkur, Bangalore 560 064
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: +91-80-23635555 Extn: 121