Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE), one of the world’s leading socio-environmental think tanks, is looking for a Communications Associate.
The Communications Associate will support ATREE projects and initiatives on some of the most significant issues in the areas of environment, ecology and sustainable development.
He/she will work closely with the Communications Manager to deliver a communication strategy.
The job requires a strong understanding of the communication domain as well as present-day social and environmental issues. The candidate should have the ability to conceptualize and create communication strategies that target a wide range of stakeholders, including academics, journalists/media and potential donors. A flair for writing, editing and organisational skills, understanding of academic parlance and the ability to meet deadlines are mandatory.
This role is also responsible for the delivery of all communication outputs and materials.
Your main responsibilities include (but not limited to) the following:
- Help develop a communication strategy for ATREE
- Develop strong contacts with regional and national media (newspapers, magazines, and digital and electronic media)
- Regularly engage with media on news stories, op-eds, and content partnerships
- Ensure that our research is informing relevant decision makers
- Help develop a social media strategy, including social media campaigns, videos, podcasts etc. with the Communications Associate and execute key outputs
- Update the website regularly with original multimedia content; contribute to and maintain ATREE blogs.
- Help coordinate institutional events and develop our digital channels
- Identify target audiences and leverage key research outputs to create communications collaterals in close collaboration with the Communications Manager and researchers at the institute.
- Post Graduate degree /Diploma in Communications / Media / Public Relations.
- At least 2-3 years of experience in communications and/or journalism with a broad knowledge of various communication channels. You will need to have hands-on experience of communication work.
- Experience in developing and managing content for non-profit organisations would be preferred.
- You are inspired by and can engage a broader audience in the areas of environment and sustainability. You can transform scientific information into impactful and simple messages.
Remuneration: Salary will be competitive and commensurate with prior experience.
About ATREE: Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE) is among the top 20 global think tanks, focused on research and education to engage and inform policy and practice in the conservation of nature, management of natural resources, and sustainable development.
Established in 1996, as a non-profit organisation, ATREE works in the forests of Western Ghats, the ecosystems of Northeast Himalayas, grasslands of Kutch, wetlands of Tamil Nadu and Kerala, the expanding urban cities of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, and other parts of India on a range of interconnected social and environmental issues.
ATREE fosters autonomy, professional growth, diversity and gender equity at the workplace. Salaries at ATREE are competitive and at par with other academic institutions in India.