Senior Research Associate: Ecoinformatics Lab (Plant Traits)
ATREE is a leading non-profit, non-governmental research and knowledge institution in Asia and has been consistently ranked among the top 20 think tanks globally. ATREE’s Ecoinformatics group has pioneered the development of cutting-edge spatial, remote sensing and landscape analysis tools to address knowledge gaps in conservation and sustainability science. The EIL’s contributions have included the first systematic conservation prioritization of the Western Ghats biodiversity hotspot, new methods to quantify and map biodiversity and ecosystem services, comprehensive studies of climate change effects on tropical mountain systems, and mapping of semi-arid grasslands. ATREE has also been a founding partner in establishing the India Biodiversity Portal and has some of the longest-running ecological monitoring sites in the country.
The Ecoinformatics Lab at ATREE is building and populating a decision support system (DSS) for promoting socio-ecologically responsible restoration as a nature-positive initiative. We seek a highly motivated researcher at the Senior Researcher Associate level to lead this effort.
- Lead the creation and population of a plant trait database from published literature.
- Lead the collation of the distribution of selected plant species from secondary data sources, project collaborators and partners.
- Lead the organisation of national and regional workshops to promote socio-ecologically responsible restoration with diverse stakeholders.
- A Master’s degree in Botany, Plant Science, Forestry or an allied degree with substantial experience (5+ years) in conducting research.
- Demonstrated professional experience in conducting statistical analysis and creating outputs using R.
- Working knowledge of open-source and proprietary RS-GIS platforms such as QGIS or ArcGIS.
- Demonstrated ability to write and present information clearly, concisely, and compellingly.
- Demonstrated ability to publish research in a peer-reviewed journal indexed by Scopus or Web of Science.
Remuneration for the position will be commensurate with experience
Interested candidates can send their CVs and supporting documentation (e.g. peer-reviewed publications, example code or maps as PDFs) as applicable to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate "SRA: Plant Trait Database" in the subject line of your email. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found, but applications received by March 24th will receive full consideration. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ATREE’s recruitment and employment policies are inclusive. We respect the spirit and letter of the laws of equal employment opportunity.