Positions: Fellows and Senior Fellows
Fellows and Senior Fellows Positions Available in the Areas of Conservation and Sustainability Sciences and Translational Research in Ecology and Environmental Studies
Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE) seeks applications from creative and motivated researchers for the positions of Fellows, and Senior Fellows. All Fellows are expected to lead research projects, teach and mentor, and contribute to capacity building, thought leadership, policy and institutional design, and public engagement.
Positions are available in areas such as Ecohydrology, Hydrobiology, Soil Biogeochemistry, Conservation Biology, Biodiversity Informatics, Social Sciences, Sustainability Sciences, Climate Science, Public and Environmental Health, Restoration Ecology, Ecological Economics, Development Economics, Agroforestry Technologies, and Policy and Governance.
Positions will remain open until filled.
Requirements for Fellows and Senior Fellows:
Fellows and Senior Fellows will be recruited for a five-year term, subject to a mid-term review. The incumbents will have:
- An impressive academic profile with a PhD degree, a good publication record is a must, preferably with two years of Postdoc experience in empirical and field research. Inter-disciplinary specializations in related areas such as eco-hydrology, ethnobiology, hydro-epidemiology, systems ecology, conservation biology, ecoinformatics, soil microbiology, chemical ecology, environmental anthropology, political economy, development economics, climate communications, citizen science, etc., will be a significant plus. Experience in teaching postgraduate courses (M.Sc., Ph.D.), training courses, and mentoring students at various levels is preferable.
- The ability to write competitive grant proposals for external funding is desirable. A successful track record in securing grants will be a plus.
- Highly motivated for carrying out research works in challenging & remote conditions.
- Demonstrated ability to represent the institution at key international and domestic fora through presentations of excellent research outputs.
- A strong aptitude for communicating with local stakeholders and ability to communicate research findings for government and private.
Salary: ATREE offers a package of competitive compensation and benefits.
About ATREE and the academic program
For the last twenty-five years, ATREE has generated rigorous interdisciplinary knowledge for achieving environmental conservation and sustainability. Sustaining India’s landscapes and ecosystem services while addressing chronic poverty and inequality requires rigorous interdisciplinary knowledge about how interconnected socio-environmental systems work. Further, it is necessary to train the next generation of environmental leaders with knowledge and skillsets in areas such as biodiversity conservation, water resource management, and landscape restoration for addressing global problems such as climate change and local challenges such as improving human well-being.
The academic program at ATREE is anchored around 15 faculty members who conduct interdisciplinary research in natural and social sciences that is relevant for just and sustainable policy design and practice. Our academic research conducted through the Biodiversity and Conservation, and Environment and Development Centers is grounded in solid fieldwork consisting of primary data collection and characterized by a long-term commitment to communities that we work in through our Community Conservation Centers and other project sites. The application of our academic research is primarily through our Center for Policy Design and the Center for Social and Environmental Innovation.
The doctoral program was established by the ATREE Academy in cooperation with the Manipal Academy of Higher Education and has produced an interdisciplinary curriculum and excellent scholarship over the past decade. Recently, ATREE launched an interdisciplinary Master’s program in Conservation Practice in collaboration with the Trans-Disciplinary University. [For more details http://atree.org/]
In addition to a liberal, plural, informal, and collegial work culture, ATREE provides competitive compensation geared to attract the best talent. ATREE’s recruitment and employment policies emphasize diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.
How to apply
Highly qualified and interested candidates are invited to submit their applications along with a CV with the Ph.D. names of three references and a Statement of Purpose stating their research interests. Nominations for Fellows and Senior Fellows are welcome.
Applications or Enquiries may be addressed to:
The HR Manager
Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment
Royal Enclave, Srirampura, Jakkur P.O. Bangalore 560 064.
Tel: +91 (80) 2363-5555, Fax: 2353-0070