Research Associate: Ecoinformatics Lab
ATREE is a leading non-profit, non-governmental research and knowledge institution in Asia and has been consistently ranked among the top 20 think tanks globally. ATREE’s Ecoinformatics group has been a pioneer in developing cutting-edge spatial, remote sensing and landscape analysis tools to address knowledge gaps in conservation and sustainability science. Amongst its contributions have been the first systematic conservation prioritization of the Western Ghats biodiversity hotspot, new methods to quantify and map biodiversity and ecosystem services, comprehensive studies of climate change effects on tropical mountain systems, and mapping of semi-arid grasslands. ATREE has also been a founding partner in establishing the India Biodiversity Portal and has some of the longest-running ecological monitoring sites in the country.
The Ecoinformatics Lab at ATREE is looking for multiple highly motivated researchers at the Research Associate level who can build on its strengths in collaboration with ATREE’s diverse faculty in natural and social sciences.
- Collate, analyse and produce geospatial data on proprietary and open-source RS-GIS platforms.
- Coordinate field teams and, when necessary, collect primary geospatial data from remote field locations across the country.
- Prepare high-quality maps depicting landuse and landcover change, topography, hydrology, species distribution, land degradation and other themes.
- Lead or contribute to peer-reviewed publications and other reports produced by the Ecoinformatics Lab, ATREE’s research centres and the Academy.
- Support the Ecoinformatics Lab at ATREE in developing and maintaining state-of-the-art geospatial methods, products and portals.
- Support the ATREE Academy by teaching, conducting labs and assisting ATREE faculty and students with geospatial data queries and analyses.
- A Master’s degree in geoinformatics, RS/GIS, or the life sciences. Applicants with a degree in life sciences must demonstrate a working knowledge of RS-GIS. Applicants with a degree in geoinformatics, RS/GIS must demonstrate a working knowledge of biodiversity conservation or human wellbeing concerns.
- Demonstrated professional experience in satellite image analysis and interpretation, vector data processing and management and preparing thematic maps.
- Working knowledge of open-source and proprietary RS-GIS platforms such as QGIS, ArcGIS, Google Earth Engine, ERDAS IMAGINE or eCognition.
- Demonstrated ability to write and present information in a clear, concise, and compelling manner.
- Demonstrated ability to publish research in a peer-reviewed journal indexed by Scopus or Web of Science.
Remuneration will be commensurate with experience. Interested candidates can send their CVs and supporting documentation (1-2 peer-reviewed publications, example code or 1-2 thematic maps as PDFs) as applicable to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Ecoinformatics Lab: RA application” in the subject line of your email. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found, but applications received by Feb 25th will receive full consideration.
ATREE’s recruitment and employment policies are inclusive. We respect the spirit and letter of the laws of equal employment opportunity.