Position: Senior Consultant (Analyst) Agrobiodiversity and Conservation Financing
India’s Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) under the Paris Agreement includes a pledge for an additional carbon sink of 2.5-3 billion tonnes of CO2 equivalent from forest and tree cover (known as NDC3). The Alliance for Reversing Ecosystem Service Threats (AREST) aims to support implementation of the NDC3 pledge through ecosystem restoration across semi-arid and sub-humid zones of peninsular India. For this purpose, the alliance will collaborate on scientific evidence-based assessments on carbon sequestration and other co-benefits from restoration such as biodiversity conservation, hydrological security and rural employment to channel finance and for policy recommendations to meet the restoration target.
AREST team seeks a Senior Analyst to provide critical research, analysis, and coordination to support our efforts to accelerate finance and investment in high-integrity forest protection, agroforestry, agrobiodiversity, and other nature-based climate solutions. The Senior Analyst will conduct financial, economic, and policy analysis to develop scalable business models and help mobilize private and public finance to scale up forest protection, conservation of fragile habitats and degraded land restoration efforts within multiple ecosystems in India.
The Senior Analyst will report to Dr. Nitin Pandit at ATREE. S/he will work with other AREST partner analysts, natural scientists, and policy specialists across coalition and throughout ATREE, as well as within academia and other partner organizations.
This position can/will be located in Bangalore.
- Perform literature reviews and find, analyze and synthesize scientific, economic, and policy information for AREST on high-integrity markets and finance for protecting and restoring lands and scaling up agroforestry and agrobiodiversity programs in India.
- Work with AREST team, to identify best available and potential channels for financing restoration pathways in ways that support India’s commitments under the Paris Agreement and UNCCD.
- Research and assess methodologies and approaches for reconciling public and privately funded projects and other programs with jurisdictional-scale programs.
- Support a range of quantitative analyses and research projects to communicate value of jurisdictional or landscape level programs to corporates and private investors and develop financing strategies to promote restoration, agroforestry and agrobiodiversity.
- Manage specific projects, analytics and workflows in support of different climate policy and forest related goals, and help to track and manage overall workflows for broader team.
- Write and prepare papers, technical reports, policy briefs, and communication materials (including analyses, fact sheets, answers to specific queries, and other information as needed), in close coordination with broader team.
- Present analysis and findings through clear and compelling oral presentations to both internal and external audiences.
- Apply excellent organizational, communication and planning skills in preparing correspondence and reports, responding to requests for information and helping to coordinate activities among staff members.
- Master’s degree in economics, finance, environmental or regional studies, or other field with strong quantitative methods;
- At least 5 years relevant professional experience and demonstrated interest at the intersection of environmental issues and finance;
- Excellent quantitative skills; ability to design and conduct financial and other quantitative analysis using various data analysis tools;
- Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail; ability to handle multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and prioritize assignments;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; must be able to adapt technical documents and concepts into ideas that are easily understood by the general public;
- Demonstrate cultural awareness and the knowledge, attitude, behaviour, and skills that lead to a culturally competent workplace. Must demonstrate a commitment to continued self-assessment, learning and growth to increase and broaden culturally competent skillsets that produce effective interactions with people across diverse cultures and backgrounds. This includes the ability to adapt to cultural change.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a small team in a fast-paced, dynamic, and creative environment.
- Willingness to travel as necessary.
This is a one year consultancy assignment. We are reviewing applications on a rolling basis. The position will remain open till a suitable candidate is found.
ATREE’s recruitment and employment policies are inclusive. We respect both the spirit and letter of the laws of equal employment opportunity.
Remuneration will be based on qualifications and experience.