For the last 25 years, ATREE has generated rigorous interdisciplinary knowledge to inform policy and practice towards conservation and sustainability. ATREE has historically engaged with a range of policy stakeholders to create an impact that balances the tradeoffs between addressing chronic poverty and inequality whilst promoting the conservation of landscapes and sustaining ecosystem services. Many of these policy interventions emerged organically due to ATREE’s in-depth knowledge and engagement with issues such as water quality and management, biodiversity conservation, forest rights and, governance and invasive species. Currently, we are working on a range of ecological and environmental policy issues with a strong focus on amplifying scientific evidence for policy design.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in public policy, development studies, environmental law, economics, environmental studies, and rural development or other relevant fields.
- Candidate must be based in Bangalore.
Desirable Skills & Experience
At least 2 years of post-Masters experience (or equivalent) in research and writing/policy advocacy on environmental law and policy in India. Candidate must be fluent in spoken and written English, and must have demonstrated proficiency in communication to non-academics.
- Providing technical expertise and inputs to enable policy advocacy to governments and intergovernmental organizations, NGO’s, donors, the private sector and others. These further entails developing position papers, communications and infographics, conducting policy analysis, identifying strategic areas for developing policy position papers and internal brainstorming; facilitating CPD’s work on policy analysis and the development of technical tools and guidance as required; peer reviewing, commenting on, and seeking to improve the technical quality of programmes/projects, policies, practices, guidelines, advisory notes, publications and the like; working closely for policy development support and guidance to partners and governments.
- Working in teams in other areas such as biodiversity, water and climate change, to forge interdisciplinary innovation and policy dialogues and advocacy in the identified priorities of the CPD; work in coordination with other divisions of ATREE and colleagues.
- Preparing communications pieces effectively showcasing socio-economic development benefits and environment results of CPD’s policy advocacy and other interventions.
- Remaining up-to-date with relevant developments in the legal (such as amendments) and policy environment relating to land, forests, climate change, water and other areas significant to ATREE and CPD’s work. Provide critical reviews of such developments, laws, bills or constitutional and parliamentary amendments, court judgements etc.
- Contribute to CPD’s outreach work through newsletters, blogs, policy briefs, opinion pieces etc
Interested persons should submit their applications including a covering letter summarizing their interest and experience, their full CV, copy of one published non-academic output, and names of 2 referees.