Applications invited for PhD in Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies
Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE) is one of South Asia's leading conservation and sustainable development research organizations with a strong interdisciplinary emphasis. ATREE invites applications for admission to its Doctoral Research Programme in Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies for the academic year 2019. The programme is recognized by Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) and is one of the few programmes in India that provides students training in natural science and social science to conduct interdisciplinary research on biodiversity conservation and sustainable development.
ATREE’s research covers the broad themes of environment, development, and biodiversity conservation. Thematic areas include: conservation biology and planning; forest governance and livelihoods; ecosystem services and well-being; hydrology and water resources; and development and environmental change.
Disciplines represented in the faculty include: ecology, plant and invertebrate taxonomy, conservation genetics, hydrology, water quality, landscape ecology, economics, development studies, institutional analysis, sociology, and political ecology.
Students with prior training in any branch of the social, natural, or engineering sciences, and humanities are eligible for admission to the PhD programme. Selected students will register for core courses for two semesters, after which they will conduct independent research under the guidance of a doctoral advisory committee that is chaired by the faculty advisor. Five students will each receive a fellowship for a period of three years. The fellowship amount will be Rs. 25,000 (pre-registration) and Rs.28, 000 (post-registration) per month. Contingency support for research at Rs. 50,000 per year for two years will also be provided. Faculty advisors will work closely with their students to obtain fellowship and research funding after the 3rd year to enable students to successfully complete the programme.
ATREE fosters diversity and gender equity at the work place. Women and persons from underprivileged groups are especially encouraged to apply. ATREE’s affirmative action policy will be followed during the PhD selection process.
Admission and eligibility
- The candidate must have a Master’s degree in any social science, natural science, engineering or humanities discipline and have secured a minimum of 55% marks or equivalent.
- Applicants will appear for an entrance exam in ATREE.
- Candidates who have qualified for UGC-CSIR (minimum NET), GATE, ICSSR or equivalent exams, or have an M.Phil. degree are not required to take the entrance exam and will qualify directly for the interview.
List of faculty that are accepting applications
- Abi Tamim Vanak
- Ankila Hiremath
- Aravind NA
- Nirmalya Chatterjee
- Priyadarsanan DR
- Shoibal Chakravarty
- Siddappa Setty
Candidates seeking admission for the PhD programme at ATREE should submit the following documents:
- A completed application form (download the application form )
- Copies of degree certificate (or provisional degree certificate if the degree certificate has not been received yet), and Master’s course mark sheets.
- A written statement of purpose in the applicant’s own words, which highlights his or her research and career goals (maximum 1000 words).
- Confidential reference letters from two referees, sent directly by the referees to the address below by email or post.
- Updated resume
Applicants should submit completed application and all supporting documents by email to email@example.com or post to the address listed below by April 12, 2019. Applicants should indicate ‘Application for PhD programme - 2019’ in the subject line (if submitting by email) or superscribe the envelope (if submitting by post). Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Shortlisted applicants will appear for an entrance exam followed by an interview at ATREE, Bangalore. The academic year will begin on 1st August 2019.
Academy for Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies, Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE), Royal Enclave, Srirampura, Jakkur , Bangalore 560 064
Phone: +91-80-23635555 Extn: 121