B.Sc. 1986. Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India.
M.S. 1989. Ecology. Pondicherry University, Pondicherry, India.
Ph.D.1996. Ecology. Pondicherry University, Pondicherry, India.
Thesis title: Fruiting patterns among canopy trees and fruit use by vertebrates in a wet evergreen forest of Southern Western Ghats, India. Supervisor: Dr. Priya Davidar.
Research interests: Faunal loss (birds and small mammals) and its consequence on forest dynamics, long term changes in tree phenology and understanding factors that contributes to such changes. Anthropogenic effects on species interactions especially on the forest-agriculture boundary. Long-term changes in population dynamics of migrant raptors and resident owls in relation to land use changes and community involvement in their conservation.
Continue to be involved with others in monitoring long term phenology of trees, keystone species and resource abundance for arboreal animals in Kalakad Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve (KMTR).
Currently involved with my student in understanding issues related to restoration of biodiversity in abandoned plantations from both an ecological and social angle to develop protocols that would facilitate cost effective restoration.
Hunting is a major conservation issue and does the traditional models of sustainable hunting worth pursuing in the context of globalization is being addressed by me and my student in the north east region of India.
In a different context traditional knowledge can flow across generations much after its utility is reduced or never properly transmitted across generations. Under this context we are evaluating the importance of traditional owl perches used around KMTR to control rodent pest in the context of other pest control measures and existing local knowledge.
A program to map out aquatic bird habitat to facilitate identification of important wetlands that can be conserved with the help of local communities especially in the buffer region of the KMTR is underway. We have identified areas that have significant biodiversity and we are attempting if the framework of participative conservation be used in such places. Part of the processes also includes a bi-lingual field guide on birds for the local people in the area.
Involved in a major national level educational program of the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) to set up DNA (DBT nature awareness) clubs in schools of Karnataka state to inculcate the need to observe and document our natural bio-resources is underway. The vacation training programme of DBT is also part of this endeavor.
- 2005-2010. Garnering support of forest fringe dwelling communities in protecting forests in their backyard.
- 2004-2005. Determining the impacts of forest fragmentation on plant - animal interactions and how connectivity of fragments help negate this effect.
- 2003. Investigating the impact of forest logging on the survival of canopy plant species in the wet forest.
- 2002. Investigating the impact of forest logging on the survival of a keystone plant species.
- 2001-2002. Sampling lesser fauna in the Nagarahole National park. Grant from Karnataka Forest Department.
- 1999. Re-censusing permanent vegetation plots in the dry forests of Biligirirangan Wild Life Sanctuary, India. Grant from Mac Arthur foundation USA to Dr. K.S. Bawa, Umass Boston.
- 1996-1997. Population changes in birds across altitudinal gradient in the Kalakad-Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve. Grant from Mac Arthur foundation USA to Dr. K.S. Bawa, Umass Boston and Tata Energy Research Institute, New Delhi, India.
- 1990-2002. Long-term phenological patterns of rainforest trees in Kalakad-Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve. Grant from Mac Arthur foundation USA to Dr. K.S. Bawa, Umass Boston and Tata Energy Research Institute, New Delhi, India.
- 1992-2000. Setting up forest dynamic plots for long term monitoring in Kalakad Mundanthurai Tiger reserve, India and recensusing. Grant from Mac Arthur foundation USA to Dr. K.S. Bawa, Umass Boston and Tata Energy Research Institute, New Delhi, India.
- 1994. Biogeography study of bird and butterfly distribution in the Andaman group of islands, India.
- 1992. Seasonality of mixed flocks of insectivorous birds in the Rain forest of Kalakad Mundanthurai Tiger reserve, India.
- 1990-1992. Frugivory and seed dispersal in the rain forest of Kalakad Mundanthurai Tiger reserve, India.
- 1989. Foraging strategies and nectar use by wintering Rosy Pastors (Sturnus roseus). Masters dissertation.
- 1989. Community studies in the hill stream fishes of Kalakad Mundanthurai Tiger reserve, India.
- 1987-1996 Population estimate and roosting behaviour of wintering harriers near Hyderabad, India.
- 1986. Bird banding in Point Calimere Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Ganesh,T., R. Ganesan, M.S. Devy and P. Jahnavi. 2010. Treasures on Tiger Tracks- A bilingual Nature guide to the Kalakad Mundanthurai Tiger reserve. Pub. ATREE.
- Davidar, P.D., K. Yoganand, T. Ganesh, Niraj Joshi, K. Geetha Nayak. 2007. Avifauna of the Andaman Islands: preliminary inventory and distributional patterns. JBNHS.
- Chetana, H.C. and T. Ganesh. 2007. Survey and activity patterns of nocturnal mammals in a fragmented dry deciduous forest of Karnataka. Zoo Print Journal 22:2644-2647.
- Ganesh,T. and Soubadra Devy. 2006. Interactions between Non flying mammals and Cullenia exarillata, a canopy tree from the wet forest of Western Ghats. Current sci: 90:1674-1679
- Ganesh,T. and P. Davidar. 2005. Fruiting phenology and pre-dispersal seed predation in a rainforest in southern Western Ghats, India. In J. Lawrence Dew and Jean Philippe Boubli (eds.), Tropical Fruits and Frugivores: The Search for Strong Interactors.pp 137 - 152. Springer,Netherlands.
- Ganesh, T. and M.S. Devy. 2005. Canopy world. Sanctuary, February.
- Devy, M.S., and T. Ganesh. 2003. Canopy science and its relevance to India. Current Science 85:101 - 104.
- Davidar, P., K. Yoganand, T. Ganesh and M. Soubadra Devy. 2002. Distribution of forest birds and butterflies in the Andaman islands, Bay of Bengal; nested patterns and processes. Ecography 25: 5-16.
- Davidar, P., K. Yoganand, T. Ganesh. 2001. Distribution of forest birds in the Andaman Islands: importance of key habitats. Journal of Biogeography: 28:663-672.
- Ganesh, T. and P. Davidar. 2001. Dispersal modes of tree species in the wet forests of southern Western Ghats. Current Science 80:394-399.
- Ganesh, T. and S.M. Devy. 2000. Bird flowers and pollination ecology. Current science.79:689.
- Ganesh, T. and S.M. Devy. 2000. Flower use by arboreal mammals and pollination of a rainforest tree in south Western Ghats, India. Selbyana 21:60-65.
- Ganesh,T. and P. Kanniah. 1999. Roost counts of harriers (Circus sp) spanning seven winters in Andhra Pradesh, India. Forktail No.16:1-4.
- Ganesh, T. and P. Davidar. 1999. Fruit production and frugivore abundance in a wet forest of southern Western Ghats. Journal of Tropical Ecology 15:399-413.
- Devy, M.S., T. Ganesh and P. Davidar. (1998). Patterns of butterfly distribution in the Andaman Islands, Implications for conservation. Acta Oecologia 19(6):527-534.
- Ganesh, T., R. Ganesan and M.S. Devy. (1998). Diet of the brown palm civet (Paradoxurus jerdonii) in Kalakad Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve. Journal of Bombay Natural History Society 95(1): 108-109.
- Ganesh, T. and P. Davidar. (1997). Flowering phenology and flower predation of Cullenia exarillata by arboreal vertebrates in Southern Western Ghats. Journal of Tropical Ecology 13:459-468.
- Ganesh, T. (1997). Occurrence of the Brown Palm civet in the Kalakad-Mundanthurai Tiger reserve. Journal of Bombay Natural History Society 94 (3):.
- Ganesh, T. (1997). The Malabar spiny dormouse in the Kalakad-Mundanthurai Tiger reserve. Journal of Bombay Natural History Society 94(3): 561.
- Ganesh, T, R. Ganesan, M. Soubadra Devy, P. Davidar and K.S. Bawa. (1996). An assessment of plant biodiversity at a mid elevation evergreen forest of Kalakad Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve, Western Ghats, India. Current Science 71:379-392.
- Davidar, P., T.K. Yoganand, T.Ganesh and N. Joshi. (1996). An assessment of common and rare bird species of the Andaman islands. Forktail,U.K.
- Soubadra Devy, M., T. Ganesh and P. Davidar.1994. Butterfly distribution in the Andaman islands. Journal of Andaman Science Association, 10:50-56.
- Davidar, P., T.K. Yoganand, M. Soubadra Devy and T. Ganesh. 1994. Reserve size and implications for conservation of Biodiversity in the Andaman Islands. In (ed) Boyle, T.J.B and Boontawee, B. Measur-ing and monitoring of Biodiversity in tropical and temperate forest, CIFRO, Indonesia pp 287-301.
- Ganesh, T. and M.Soubadra Devy. 1993. How butterflies raise their temperature on cold and misty days. Journal of Bombay Natural History Society 90:303.
Major Workshops and Symposia
- 2009. 5th International Canopy Conference, Bangalore, 25-31st Oct 09.
- 2005. International Canopy conference. Leipzig, 10-17 July 2005. Presented a paper on Long term phenology of trees in the Western Ghats.
- 2003. Association of Tropical Biology and Conservation meeting at Aberdeen, 6-10 July. Presented a paper on Compensatory pollination of a keystone species in the Western Ghats.
- 2002. Association of Tropical Biology international meeting at Panama, 29 July-4 Aug. Presented a paper on phenology and seed predation rates in the Western Ghats.
- 2001. Association of Tropical Biology international meeting at Bangalore 15-18 July. Presented a paper on pollination and seed dispersal syndromes in the Western Ghats.
- 2000. Centre for Tropical Forests Science meeting at Singapore. 30 May-10 June. Presented a paper on vegetation dynamics in wet forests.
- 1998. Canopy: A global perspective. 4 - 9 Nov .Marie Selby botanical Gardens, Sarasota, Florida, USA. Presented paper on canopy vertebrate pollination.
- 1996. Pan-Asia Salim Ali Centenary celebrations, 9-16 Nov, Coimbatore, India. Presented a paper on Rare forest birds as indicators of habitat quality in the Andaman Islands and a paper on Avian frugivore diversity in the southern Western Ghats
- 1993. International Symposium on Pollination in tropics, Bangalore, India. Presented paper on flower predation by canopy vertebrates.
- 1989. Wetland workshop conducted by Asian Wetland Bureau, Malaysia in Rajkot.
- 1989. Asian Crane Congress Rajkot, India. Conducted by Asian Wetland Bureau, Malaysia and Bombay Natural History Society, Bombay, India.
Symposium and workshops organized
- Co-convenor, 5th International Canopy Conference, Bangalore, 25-31 Oct 09
- Organized international meeting on forest canopies and sustainability in Bangalore. June 6-7, 2007
- Organized first stakeholders meeting for the Whole Forest Observatory at Centre for Ecological studies, IISc, Bangalore. Aug 22, 2006.
- Part of the organizing committee for the Annual Research and conservation seminar of ATREE Jan 2006.
- Coordinator for India on Whole Forest Observatories project in the Western Ghats
- Coordinated in the organisation of Watershed workshop. Bangalore. Nov 1998.
- Coordinated in the organisation of Interaction meeting on biodiversity of BR hills. Sep 1998.
- Offer annually a two-week field oriented course in Conservation Biology for postgraduate students. Conducted in 2001, 2002, 2003 and planned in 2010.
- Organized a month long Vacation Training Programme on bioresource for Xth standard School students in Bangalore 2002, 2003,2006,2008,2010.
- Lecture on environmental issues in south Asia. Environmental and ecology students, New College, Florida, USA. Nov 2008.
- Foundation course in Ecology. ATREE Ph.D. programme.
- Theory lecture and project designing in the field for students of the 2 week course on Conservation biology. 2001, 2002, 2003
- Lecture and hands on training on avian resources for the month long bioresource program for School students.2002,2003
- Resource person for 2 week conservation biology course in North eastern Himalayas.2001,2003
- Lectured for forest guards at the Biligiri Rangan Wild Life Sanctuary. 2000
- Taught a full course in Biostatistics for Masters students of ecology. Pondicherry University.1998.
- Lectured on frugivory under Plant-Animal interaction course for masters students in Pondicherry University.1997
- Demonstrated field ornithology techniques under Conservation Ecology course for masters students in Pondicherry University.1996
- Forests, owls and ecosystem services: raising awareness and value of nature conservation in forest fringe village communities in south India. National Geographic Society.
- Conservation of wetlands for equitable use by birds and humans around a Tiger Reserve in Southern Western Ghats, India. Ecosystem Grant, IUCN.
- DNA clubs and Vacation Training Programme.
- Wild life hazard survey for Bengaluru International Airport.
- World Bank. Bilingual youth Field guide to the tiger reserve.
- Department of Technology, Govt of India. Influence of Canopy structure on Avian diversity.
- Department of Biotechnology, Govt of India. Vacation Training Programme on io resources for school children.
- International Foundation of Science, Sweden. Impact of anthropogenic disturbance on pollination and seed dispersal of canopy trees in the wet evergreen forests of Western Ghats, India.
- Flora-fauna International. Conservation of swamp forests in Western Ghats.
- Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India. Contact programme for Conservation Biology.
- World Bank project to Karnataka Forest department. Assessment of lesser fauna in Rajiv Gandhi National Park. Principal Investigator.
- Bombay Natural History Society, Bombay (1998-2003)
- Ecological Society of America (1995-1997)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (2000-2005).
- Member disaster management committee, Tirunelveli dist.
International Advisor to Environmental Studies at New College of Florida, Sarasota, USA.
Agasthya - a newsletter on natural history and conservation of the Agasthyamalai region