Fellow (Land, Water and Livelihoods Programme, Centre for Environment and Development)
Systems approaches linking climate, agro-ecological and socio-economic processes to understand the context of changing waterscapes within a larger framework of sustainable environments and human wellbeing. This includes understanding land-use change and cropping system choices, surface and ground water interactions in natural and anthropogenized hydrologic systems; inter and intra sectoral water allocations, water management practices and policies in changing socio-economic, institutional and climate conditions.
Ph.D, Soil and Water Resources Engineering. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA. 2001.
M.Eng, Water Engineering and Management. Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok. Thailand. 1994.
B.Tech, Agricultural Engineering. University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad. India. 1991.
- Since 2009: Fellow, Centre for Environment and Development, Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment, Bangalore. India.
- 2003-09: Fellow, Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies in Environment and Development, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore. India.
- 2001-03: Post-doctoral Scientist, International Water Management Institute, Colombo. Sri Lanka.
- 1995-96: Water Resources Engineer/Project Manager. Green Engineering Company Limited, Bangkok. Thailand.
- 1994-95: Programme Associate. Continuing Education Centre. Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok. Thailand.
Major Research Projects/Grants
- April.2012 – May.2015. Adaptation of Irrigated Agriculture to Climate Change. CEFIRA/IFCPAR - Indo-French Centre for the Promotion of Advanced Research (in collaboration with Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and the French National Institute for Agricultural Research (INRA).
- Jan.2012 – Dec.2014. Impacts of Forestation on Water Cycle and Hydrologic Services in the Western Ghats: Response of Forests and Agro-ecosystems to Extreme Rainfall Events. Co-Investigator. National Environment Research Council, UK and Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India (in collaboration with University of Dundee-UK, National Centre for Biological Sciences-Bangalore, Foundation for Ecological Research, Advocacy and Learning-Pondicherry).
- Nov.2010-Oct.2012. Negotiating Tradeoffs: Making Informed Choices about Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation. Co-Investigator. Natural Environment Research Council, UK (in collaboration with University of Cambridge-UK, University of Oxford-UK, Winrock International India-New Delhi)
- Mar.2010-June.2011. Livelihood Pattern Changes and Environmental Depletion Assessment in Malaprabha sub-basin and Vembanad wetland system. Co-Investigator. Internally Funded (Ford Foundation)
- Apr.2009-Sep.2009. Emergence of Independent Regulatory Agencies in Water Sector: An Initiative for Building Awareness and Critical Understanding among Civil Society Actors in Karnataka. Principal Investigator. Ford Foundation (with PRAYAS, Pune)
- Nov.2006-Oct.2008. Development of Tools and Methodologies to Implement Payment for Ecosystem Services Concept in Watersheds in India. Principal Investigator. The Royal Norwegian Embassy, New Delhi (in Collaboration with NIVA, Oslo)
- Jun.2005-Jun.2009. Multi-locational, Multi-disciplinary Research and Outreach on Watershed Development in Dry and Semi-Arid Regions of India. Principal Investigator- Sir Dorabji Tata Trust. Collaborator-Ford Foundation and WaterAid India (in collaboration with SOPPECOM, Pune and GIDR, Ahmedabad)
- Nov.2003-Dec.2007. Quantification of the Watershed Service Impacts of Changes in Land-Use and Land Cover in the Western Ghats relative to existing Land-uses in Physical and Socio-economic Terms. Co-Investigator. Ford Foundation, UNESCO and SANDEE (in collaboration with ATREE, NIH and UNESCO)
- May.2001-Apr.2003. Poverty focused Smallholder Water Management Systems: Promoting Innovative Water Harvesting and Irrigation Systems to support Sustainable Livelihoods in South Asia. Principal Investigator. UK Department for International Development
- Vira, B., Adams, B., Agarwal, C., Badiger, S., Hope, R., Krishnaswamy, J and Kumar, C(2012),'Negotiating Tradeoffs: Making Informed Choices about Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation'. Economic and Political Weekly. Vol 97, No 9. 03 March 2012.
- Heller, E., J. M. Rhemtulla, S. Lele, M. Kalacska, S. Badiger, R. Sengupta and N. Ramankutty,(2012), Mapping Crop Types, Irrigated Areas, and Cropping Intensities in Heterogeneous Landscapes of Southern India Using Multi-Temporal Medium-Resolution Imagery: Implications for Assessing Water Use in Agriculture", Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, vol.78(8): 815–827. - "Winner of Third Place in the 2013 ERDAS Award for Best Scientific Paper in Remote Sensing from ASPRS"[pdf]
- Joy, K. J., Shah, A., Paranjape, S., Samuel, A., Badiger, S and Lele, S, (2008),'Common Guidelines for Watershed Development: Some Reflections'. Economic and Political Weekly, Vol 43, No 23, pp. 18-20, 07 June 2008.
- Joy, K.J., A. Shah, S. Paranjape, S.Badiger, and Lele, S., (2006), 'Issues in Restructuring' Economic and Political Weekly, XLI (27 and 28): 2994-2996, July. [pdf]
- Badiger, S and Cooke, R. A, (2002), ' Simulating drain flows from irregularly-spaced field drains installed in silty clay loam soils'. In Proceedings, Remote Sensing and Modeling Applications for Natural Resource Management: Transferring Knowledge from Laboratory to Field and Landscapes. Volume 32. March 10-13, 2002, Mississippi State University, Mississippi, Mississippi State, USA.
- Cooke, R. A., Badiger, S and García, A. M, (2001), 'Drainage equations for random and irregular tile drainage systems'. Agricultural Water Management 48(3):207-224.
- Badiger, S., Cooke, R. A and Garcia, A. M, (2000), 'Evaluation of two-dimensional variably saturated model SWMS-2D for simulating subsurface drainage'. ASAE Paper No. 00-2094. St. Joseph, Michigan: ASAE.
- Badiger, S., Murty, V. V. N and Cooke, R. A, (1997), 'A comparative study of the methods for the design of level basin irrigation systems'. ASAE Paper No. 97-2185. St. Joseph, Michigan: ASAE.
- Killada, N. V, S. Badiger and B. K. Thomas (2012),Deconstructing Floods in Krishna Basin: An Assessment of Institutional Responses to Flood Regulation, invited paper in a compendium on flood induced conflicts in South Asia to be published by Forum for Policy Dialogue on Water Conflicts in India.
- Lele, S., I. Patil, S. Badiger, A. Menon and R. Kumar, (2011), Forests, Hydrological Services, and Agricultural Income: A Case Study from Mysore district of the Western Ghats of India. In: Environmental Valuation in South Asia (eds. Haque, A. K. E., M. N. Murty and P. Shyamsundar). Pp. 141-169. Cambridge, U.K.: Cambridge University Press. [pdf]
- Joy, K. J., A. Shah, S. Paranjape, S. Badiger and Lele, S., (2009), ' Re-visioning the Watershed Development Programme in India', in G. K. Kadekodi and B. Viswanathan (Eds.), Agricultural Development, Rural Institutions, and Economic Policy: Essays for A.Vaidyanathan, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, pp.152-175.[pdf]
- Badiger, S., Gopalakrishnan, S., and Patil, I,(2011), 'Contextualizing Rural-Urban Water Conflicts: Biophysical and Socio-Institutional Issues of Domestic Water Scarcity', in V. Narain, C. Gurung Goodrich, J. Chourey, and A. Prakash (Eds.), Water in a Globalizing World: State, Markets and Civil Society in South Asia. Routledge Publishers (in press).
- Badami Rao, D and Badiger, S,(2011) 'Understanding Emerging Independent Regulatory Frameworks: Lessons for Reforming Karnataka’s Water Governance', in V. Narain, C. Gurung Goodrich, J. Chourey, and A. Prakash (Eds.), Water in a Globalizing World: State, Markets and Civil Society in South Asia, Routledge Publishers (in press)..
Technical Reports / Conference Papers
- Smitha, G.,I. Patil and S. Badiger, (2010), ' Identifying Contextual Strategies to Address Urban Drinking Water Shortages - A Case Of Bailhongal, Karnataka'. In Proceedings, International Conference on “Urbanism and Green Architecture. NIT-HP and IIA-India. October 30-31, 2010.
- Badiger, S and Reshmidevi, T.V, (2010), 'Ecosystems and Livelihoods at Crossroads: Modelling Land-use Change Impacts on Water Regimes and Downstream Users'. In Proceedings, ASCE - EWRI's 3rd Developing Nations Conference: India 2010 - An International Perspective on Current & Future State of Water Resources & the Environment, 05-07 January, 2010, Chennai.
- Reshmidevi, T and Badiger, S, (2009), 'Impact of Irrigation Intensification on Inter-sectoral Water Allocation in a Deficit Catchment in India'. In Proceedings, Symposium JS.3 at the Joint IAHS & IAH Convention, Hyderabad, India, 06-12 Sep 2009.
- Reshmidevi, T., Christiansen, A., Badiger, S and Barton, D, (2008),' Hydrology and Water Allocation in Malaprabha: Comprehensive Database and Integrated Hydro-Economic Model for Selected Water Services in the Malaprabha River Basin'. NIVA Report Nr.5695-2009. ISBN 978-82-577-5430-3.
- Lélé, S., I. Patil, S. Badiger, A. Menon and R. Kumar, (2008), 'The Economic Impact of Forest Hydrological Services on Local Communities: A Case Study from the Western Ghats of India', SANDEE Working Paper no. 36-08, South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics, Kathmandu.[pdf]
- Joy, K.J., A. Shah, S. Paranjape, S.Badiger, and Lele, S., (2005), 'Reorienting the Watershed Development Programme in India; Approaches, Outcomes & Impact Assessment', Occasional Paper, Society for Promoting Participative Ecosystem Management, Pune, Gujarat Institute of Development Research, Ahmedabad and Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies in Environment and Development, Bangalore. [pdf]
- Badiger, S and Bakken, T. H, (2007), 'Integrated River Basin Modeling Framework to Support Payments for Watershed Services'. NIVA Report Nr. 5458-2007. ISBN 978-82-577-5193-7.
- Badiger, S. and Aloysius, N. R, (2006),' Augmenting Groundwater Recharge from Traditional Water Harvesting Practices in Semi-Arid Regions'. Proceedings of IAHS International Conference on Hydrological Sciences for Managing Water Resources in the Asian Developing World. Guangzhou, China, 08-10 June 2006
- Badiger, S., Aloysius, N. R and Ghosh, I, (2006),' Adaptive Potential of Innovative Water Management Practices in Coping with Climate Uncertainties in Semi-Arid Tropics'. In Proceedings, Adaptation to Climate Variability and Change: Sharing Insights from South Asia, the U.S. and other parts of the World. New Delhi, January 5-8, 2006. Winrock International India and Institute for Social and Environmental Transition.
- Badiger, S, (2002), ' The Paal Revolution: Reviving Rajasthan’s traditional rainwater harvesting structures for augmenting groundwater recharge. In, Improving Water and Land Resource Management for Food, Livelihoods and Nature'. IWMI Annual Research Report 2001-2002.
- Badiger, S and Cooke, R. A, (2002), ' Numerical simulation of tile drainage in cracking field soils'. In Proceedings, International Groundwater Symposium: Bridging the Gap between Measurement and Modeling in Heterogeneous Media. March 25-28, 2002; Berkeley, California, USA.
- Badiger, S., Sakthivadivel, R., Aloysius, N. R and Sally, H, (2001) Preliminary assessment of a traditional approach to rainwater harvesting and artificial recharging of groundwater in Alwar district, Rajasthan'. In Proceedings, ICAR-IWMI Policy Dialogue on Groundwater Management, November 6-7, 2001. Central Soil Salinity Research Institute, Karnal, Haryana State, India.
- Cooke, R. A., Badiger, S and García, A. M, (2000), 'Development of watershed-scale hydrologic models for watersheds with artificial subsurface drainage systems'. In Proceedings, 2000 International Binghamton Geomorphology Symposium on Integration of Computer Modeling and Field Observations in Geomorphology. October 13 - 15, Binghamton, New York: Binghamton University.
- Badiger, S and Cooke, R. A, (2000), 'Application of integrated GIS and numerical models in subsurface drainage studies'. In Proceedings, Fourth International Conference on Integrating GIS and Environmental Modeling. September 2-8, 2000, Banff, Canada: National Center for Geographic Information and Analysis.
- Cooke, R. A., Garcia, A. M., and S. Badiger, S, (2000), 'Modeling rapid interflow into random and irregular tile drainage systems'. In Proceedings, Tenth Illinois Groundwater Consortium Annual Conference on Research on Agricultural Chemicals in Illinois Groundwater: Status and Future Directions. April 13, 2000, Carbondale, Illinois: Office of Research Development and Administration, Southern Illinois University.
Workshop and Conference Presentations
- Badiger, S, (2011),Agricultural Land-use Change and Cropping System Choices in Western Ghats Catchments: Hydrological Regime Changes and Implications for Food Security and Livelihoods. Brainstorming Workshop on Land Use Policy for the Western Ghats. Organised by IISc and WGEEP. 03 March 2011. Bangalore.
- Badiger, S, (2011),Regulatory Frameworks in Water Sector and Related Reforms:
Paradigms and Possible Implications. Organised by NLSIU and IELRC. 03-04 January 2011. Bangalore.
- Badiger, S, (2010), Modelling Impacts of Cropping System Choices and Land Use Change on Hydrological Regimes at Sub-Basin Scales. Organised by ATREE, INSEE and LUPIS. 23-24 June 2010. Bangalore.
- Badiger, S., Gopalakrishnan, S., Barton, D and Patil I, (2010), Contextualizing Rural-Urban Water Conflicts: Biophysical and Socio-Institutional Issues of Domestic Water Scarcity. 5th South Asia Research Conference on “Globalization of Governance – Implications for Water Management in South Asia”. 03-05 May 2010. Thimpu, Bhutan. Organised by South Asian Integrated Water Resources Management Consortium.
- Badami Rao, D and Badiger, S, (2010), Understanding Emerging Independent Regulatory Frameworks: Lessons for Reforming Karnataka’s Water Governance Disorder. 5th South Asia Research Conference on “Globalization of Governance – Implications for Water Management in South Asia”. 03-05 May 2010. Thimpu, Bhutan. Organised by South Asian Integrated Water Resources Management Consortium.
- Badiger, S, (2010), Spatially-Explicit Land Use Change Analysis and Crop Choice Mapping. Presentation at the TIFAC-IIASA-MSE Modeling Workshop on Land Use Planning and Agriculture. Organised by TIFAC, IIASA and MSE. 15-16 April 2010. Madras School of Economics, Chennai.
- Badiger, S, (2010), Leapfrogging Water Governance in India - Issues for Equitable and Sustainable Water Resources Management. Presentation at the National Workshop on “Water Conservation and Water Quality Challenges: Towards Adaptive Strategies"; World Water Day Celebration. Organised by TERI, UNICEF and HUL. 22 March 2010. TERI, New Delhi.
- Badiger, S, (2010), Integrated Basin Modeling Framework for Assessing Impacts of Changes in Land-use and Climate Conditions on Hydrologic Regimes and Water Distribution. Presentation at the National Workshop on “Economics of Climate Change Adaptation: Issues, Methodologies and Estimates for India. Organised by SANDEE, MSE, MSSRF. 12-13 February 2010. Madras School of Economics, Chennai.
- Badiger, S, (2010), Building Climate Change Resilience through Watershed Development. Workshop on Climate Change and India. Organised by MGIRED, Bangalore. 25 January 2010. Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Rural Energy and Development, Bangalore.
- Badiger, S and Badami Rao, D, (2009), Emerging Issues in Water Regulatory Frameworks and Related Reforms in Karnataka. Presentation at Consultation Workshop on Water Reforms in Karnataka. 02 September 2009. Bangalore.
- Badiger, S, (2009), Large-Scale Watershed Development: Upstream and Downstream Linkages. Presentation at Dissemination Workshop: Post-facto and Other Watershed Studies organised by ForWaRD and CRIDA. 24 July 2009: CRIDA, Hyderabad.
- Badiger, S, (2009), Ecosystems and Livelihoods at Crossroads: Sustainability and Equity Issues in Water Resources Management. Presentation at Indo-French Workshop on Water Resources Management. 12-14 March 2009. NGRI, Hyderabad.
- Badiger, S, (2008), Land Use Change Options in Malaprabha catchment. Paper presented at the Final Stakeholder Workshop on Exploring Options for Sustainable Water Management in the Malaprabha River Basin. Belgaum. 05 November 2008.
- Badiger, S and Bakkon, T. H, (2007), Hydrosystems Modeling in Malaprabha River Basin - Literature Review, Data Issues and Preliminary Modelling Results. Paper presented at the workshop on Development of Tools and Methodologies to implement the Payments for Environmental Services concept in Watersheds in India, Norwegian Institute for Water Research, Oslo. August 10, 2007.
- Badiger, S and Bedamatta, S, (2007), Land and Water Use Interactions in the Upper Catchments of Malaprabha River Basin – Preliminary Observations. Paper presented at the workshop on Development of Tools and Methodologies to implement the Payments for Environmental Services Concept in watersheds in India, Norwegian Institute for Water Research, Oslo. August 10, 2007.
- Madhavi, L. G., Lélé, S., Badiger, S and Vadivelu, A, (2007), Efficacy of Watershed Development Projects - Evidence from Rapid Appraisal from Karnataka. Paper presented at The Second Annual Conference on Public Policy and Management. April 12 –14, 2007. Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore.
- Lele, S., Badiger, S., Patil, I., Kumar, R., Kumar, K and Menon, A, (2006), Economic impacts of changes in hydrological services from forest ecosystems: Studies in two agro-climatic regions of the Western Ghats of India. Paper presented at the Ninth Biennial Conference of International Society of Ecological Economics- 2006, Ecological Sustainability and Human Well-Being, organised by the International Society for Ecological Economics and Indian Society for Ecological Economics, 15-18 Dec 2006, Delhi.
- Badiger, S, (2006), Environmental Issues in Integrated Water Resources Management: South Asia Perspective. Paper presented at the International Workshop on Integrated Water Resources Management, Dhaka, 23 - 27 April 2006. Bangaladesh Centre for Advanced Studies (BCAS) and International Foundation for Science (IFS) and CAPNET.
- Joy, K. J., Shah, A., Paranjape, S., Badiger, S and Lele, S, (2006), Re-visioning of Watershed Development Programme in India. Approaches, Outcomes and Impact Assessment. Paper presented at the National Conference on Macro- Economic Policy, Agricultural Development and Rural Institutions. Bangalore, India, 09-10 April 2006. ISEC, IGIDR, CDS, CESS and CISED.
- Lele, S., Menon, A., Badiger, S., Patil, I and Kumar, R, (2006), Linking land Use and Hydrologic Change to Socio-Economic Impacts. Paper presented at the International Workshop on Impacts of Reforestation of Degraded Land on Landscape Hydrology in the Asian Region. Roorkee, India, 06-10 March 2006. UNESCO, INCOH and National Institute of Hydrology.
- Joy, K. J., Paranjape, S., Shah, A., Badiger, S and Lele, S, (2005), Scaling Up of Watershed Development Projects in India: Learnings from the First Generation Projects. Paper presented at the 4th Annual IWMI-Tata Partners' Meet 2005 on India's Water Economy: Bracing Up for a Turbulent Future. Anand, 24-26 February 2005. IWMI.
- Badiger, S, (2005), Critical Issues in Watershed Development in India. Paper presented at the FAWPIO Inception and Scenario Building Workshop, organized by CLUWRR, University of Newcastle and FAWPIO-India at Bangalore, May 6-7.
Other Research/ Project Reports
- Badami Rao, D and Badiger, S, (2010), Water Governance in Karnataka: 20 Questions Civil Society should Ask. Bilingual Citizen’s Reader on Rights, Participation and Sustainability in Water Governance. ATREE, Bangalore.(forthcoming)
- Joy, K. J., Shah, A., Paranjape, S., Badiger, S and Lele, S, (2006), Re-orienting the Watershed Development Programme in India. Occasional Paper Feb-2006. Forum for Watershed Research and Policy Dialogue. Bangalore-Pune-Ahmedabad.
- Section contributions to background paper for world water development report. Water quality degradation; Water for rainfed agriculture; Water for environment, in: Molden, D.; U. Amarasinghe; M. Bhattarai; J. Wang; I. Makin. 2002. Water and food security: Comprehensive Assessment Research Paper 2. Colombo, Sri Lanka: Comprehensive Assessment Secretariat.
- Badiger, S, M., and Kalu, I, (2002), Impact assessment of low-cost drip irrigation kits amongst vegetable growers of Daliekh, Palpa and Tanahun districts in Western Nepal. Project Report. IWMI, Colombo, Sri Lanka. Unpublished.
- Badiger, S. M., Ghose, S and Aloysius, N. R, (2001), Five percent technology: Sociopolitical and economic profile of on-farm rainwater harvesting in Purulia, West Bengal-India. Unpublished Report. IWMI, Colombo, Sri Lanka. Draft.
- Badiger, S. M, (1999), Evaluation of spatial interpolation techniques used to describe spatial variability of rainfall in GIS based hydrologic models. Research report. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois.
- Badiger, S. M, (1998), Dynamics of gully and stream erosion. Project report. Department of Agricultural Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois.
- Badiger, S. M, (1998), Application of SWAT: Soil and Water Assessment Tool. Project report. Department of Agricultural Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois.
- Badiger, S. M and Hauser, T. A, (1997), Hydrologic component for modeling nitrate-N losses. Research report. Department of Geography, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois.
- Badiger, S. M, (1994), Environmental implications of water resources development in developing countries of South Asia. Project report. Continuing Education Center, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand.