Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE) is a research institute working on conservation and sustainable development in Bangalore. ATREE is looking to fill two positions in the Eco-Informatics Laboratory (http://www.atree.org/eco-informatics_lab) at the level of Research Associate.
- Creation of geo-spatial data sets and cartographic outputs for various projects from primary and secondary data sources;
- Perform GIS operations, image processing and classified satellite image interpretation & analysis for various applications, ensure quality and timely delivery of required outputs
- Archival and maintenance of in-house data, field data, library material and equipment resources;
- Assistance in teaching, training and outreach activities of the Eco-informatics Lab
- Assist in preparation of reports and organizing workshops
- Master’s degree with minimum of 2 years of experience
- Sound understanding of the principles of RS/GIS technologies and their applications in environmental research and conservation
- Knowledge and practice in key GIS/RS software used in ATREE: ERDAS Imagine, Idrisi, ArcGIS and QGIS. Ability and motivation to learn new software packages.
- Ability to provide RS/GIS support to multiple application areas: forestry, biodiversity mapping, landscape ecology, hydrology, agriculture, urban mapping
- Experience in software such as R and E-cognition
Candidates with lesser experience may be considered for Research Assistant’s position.
Salary and nature of position
These positions are core positions in the Eco-Informatics Laboratory. Initial contracts will be for 1 year with a six-month probation period. Renewal will be subject to performance. The gross emoluments at Research Associate level are approx. Rs.32, 000 per month including benefits.
Interested candidates whose profiles match the above requirements may send their CV, Masters’ marksheet copy, experience certificate if any, and names and contact details of 2 references by email to email@example.com on or before 30th of April 2015.