Research Assistant: Soil & Land Lab
Position summary: We are looking to hire a Research Assistant for geospatial analysis work on land degradation and cropping assessments. The studies seek to understand the interactions between land features, topography, soil and climatic properties and effects on landscape level evolution and assessments of agricultural management.
The position is ideally suited for someone who is comfortable working on:
- Remote sensed satellite imagery data using Google Earth Engine (GEE) or open-source desktop platforms.
- Carrying out image classification of satellite imagery in GEE or using Microsoft’s AI/ML toolsets with good knowledge about machine learning image classifiers.
- On-going familiarity with public domain soil, land or climate datasets.
- Building models in either GEE, Python or R.
- Able to do literature survey and review and assist with scientific writing.
- At least a bachelor degree geography/geoinformatics, agricultural/soil science or related disciplines (a master degree is preferred) with some previous work experience in remote sensing and GIS.
- Experience using GEE / Azure (Microsoft) AI tools / Python / R (more than 1 preferred)
- Experience in analysing various climate and soil data in GIS environments
- Ability to be absolutely methodical in approach and willing to document the process.
- (Preferred) Ability or interest, in presenting information in a compelling manner across various formats (reports, infographics, maps).
Duration: 3 months, 3 days a week (20-24 hours a week), starting February 1, 2023.
Place of work: Bengaluru, remote can be considered for outside Bangalore candidate)
Number of positions: 1
Compensation: INR 15,000 per month.
Application deadline / Position start date: 15 January 2023 / 1 February 2023.
Interested candidates should email the following to Nirmalya Chatterjee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
A 2-page CV
A write-up describing a recent work/project where they undertook a review of a particular environmental topic and the approach they followed (< 500 words)
The subject line of the email should say: Research Assistant, Soil & Land Lab.
Any queries can be addressed to the above email