- Ph.D.: Department of Crop Physiology, University of Agricultural Sciences, GKVK, Bangalore- 560065, 2004
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Agriculture: Department of Crop Physiology, University of Agricultural Sciences, GKVK, Bangalore- 560065, 1999
- Bachelor of Science (Forestry): Forestry College, Ponnompet, South Kodagu -571216
My research can be broadly divided into 4 major areas:
1. Understanding the genetic consequences of harvesting/ habitat degradation/fragmentation
2. Evolution and Molecular systematics
3. Biogeography and Phylogeography
4. Chemical Ecology and Bioprospecting
My research integrates molecular, ecological, phylogenetics and niche modeling tools to address some fundamental research questions. My research group works across various taxa, including plants, amphibians and mollusks. I welcome students who are interested in working on any of these areas or would like to develop their own.
- November 2008 - till date
Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and Environment, Bangalore
- Jan 2004 - October 2008
Post Doc Fellow,
Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and Environment, Bangalore
- August 2001 to December 2003
Senior Research Fellow,
University of Agricultural Sciences, GKVK, Bangalore-560065
- Awarded Silver award for the project “Conservation of the Myristica Swamps - the highly threatened and unique ecosystem in the Western Ghats, India” by British Petroleum (BP), United Kingdom
- Awarded Scholarship under the Erasmus Mundus Action II for Networking and Mobility Actions for Sustainable Technology and Environment (NAMASTE) to visit Uppasala University, Sweden. May 2015
1. Recognised Research Supervisor at Manipal University, http://www.manipal.edu
2. Recognised Research Guide at Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), Vellore, http://www.vit.ac.in/
3. Recognised Post Graduate Teacher at University of Agricultural Sciences, GKVK, Bangalore, http://www.uasbangalore.edu.in
1. Landscape Genetics of stream dwelling Anurans in Agriculture-forest matrix in the central Western Ghats. Department of Biotechnology (DBT) New Delhi. 2015-2018, Co- Investigator
2. Managing India’s forests for biodiversity and human well being in the face of global environmental change. Funded by USAID, New Delhi. 4 years, 2014-2018, Co-Investigator
Post-Doctoral Grants (in my lab)
1.Dr. Triveni H. N (DBT-RA) – Genetic diversity of Phyllanthus indofisheri from 3 protected areas of Karnataka, India 2016-2020(Department of Biotechnology)
2.Dr. Srirama R (Post Doc) – Origin and diversity of wild populations of Piper nigrum in the Western Ghats,India. 2015-2018. Department of Science and Technology (SERB Fast track Scheme for Young Scientists)
3.Dr. Jagadish M. R (Post Doc)- Landscape genetics of Gymnacranthera canarica (King) Warb. (Myristicaceae), an endemic t ree species of the Myristica swamps of Central Western Ghats, India. 2014-2017. Department of Science and Technology (SERB Fast track Scheme for Young Scientists),
4.Dr. Avik Ray (Post Doc)- Population genetics of few species of Rhododendrons with varied distributional regimes to elucidate their colonization, historical demography and diversification. 2013-2016. Department of Science and Technology (SERB Fast track Scheme for Young Scientists)
- Conservation of the Myristica Swamps - the highly threatened and unique ecosystem in the Western Ghats, India, Funded by British Petroleum (BP), United Kingdom (2003-2004, Co-Investigator)
- Genetic variability of Jatropha curcus in few selected populations in India. Funded by Mission Biofuels India Pvt. Ltd, Mumbai. 2007 (Principal Investigator)
- Species Recovery program for medicinal plants species in the human-dominated forest landscapes in the Western Ghats, India: towards a concerted approach for the conservation of red listed medicinal plant species. Funded by Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA), (2005-2007 Co-Investigator)
- Measuring the extent of and studying the genetic basis of outbreeding depression in critically endangered tree species: Implications for conservation. Funded by Department of Science and Technology (DST-Young Scientist) (2006-2009, Principal Investigator)
- Species recovery plan for Semecarpus kathalekanensis: a critically endangered fresh-water swamp species of the Western Ghats. Funded by Department of Biotechnology (DBT) New Delhi. 2006-2009 (Principal Investigator)
- Recovery of two critically endangered plant species Hubbardia heptaneuron and Ceropegia fantastica, of Western Ghats through the application of biotechnological tools. Funded by Department of Biotechnology (DBT) New Delhi. 2006-2011 (Principal Investigator)
- Development and demonstration of sustainable methods of harvesting of Nothapodytes nimmoniana under different agro-forestry systems for optimizing the production of Campthothecin and related high value metabolites. Department of Biotechnology (DBT) New Delhi. 2010-2013 (Principal Investigator)
- DNA bar coding of Rattans and Phyllanthus: For developing fingerprints, resolving taxonomy and securing IPRs. Funded by Department of Biotechnology (DBT) New Delhi. 2007-2010 (Principal Investigator)
- Biotechnological Interventions for conservation and utilization of forest resources. Department of Biotechnology (DBT) New Delhi. 2010-2015 (Principal Investigator)
- Conservation of critically endangered and economically important species Myristica malabarica in the central Western Ghats: using ecological niche models as a tool to identify areas for conservation. Funded by Department of Biotechnology (DBT) New Delhi. 5 Years 2011-2016 (Principal Investigator)
- Research and Development of an herbal and fish product authentication service using DNA barcoding. Funded by Department of Biotechnology (DBT) New Delhi. 3.6 Years 2012-2016 (Principal Investigator)
- Development of microsatellite markers and assessment of population genetic diversity for economically important forest species (Parkia roxburghii) in North East India. Funded by Department of Biotechnology (DBT) New Delhi. 2 Years 2012-2016 (Principal Investigator)
Current Ph. D students
1. Barkha Subba working on "Factors Influencing the Distribution and Community Composition of High Altitude Amphibians: Conservation Implications for Sikkim, Eastern Himalayas”
2. Priti Hebbar working on “Ecology and Conservation Genetics of Anurans in Myristica Swamps of the Central Western Ghats”.
3. Sandeep Sen working on “Center of Origin of Black Pepper and Phylogeny of Genus Piper in India”.
4. Geethika, E working on “Impacts of Harvesting on Genetic structure of Phyllanthus emblica (Amla) in three protected sites of Western Ghats”.
5. Bhavani Shanker working on “Genetic structure of Boswellia serrata in Western Ghats, India”.
Publications In Journals
Click here for selected PDF : https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Gudasalamani_Ravikanth
- Sandeep Sen, Ameya Gode , Srirama Ramanujam, Ravikanth G and NA Aravind 2016. Modeling the impact of climate change on wild Piper nigrum (Black Pepper) in Western Ghats, India using Ecological Niche models. Journal of Plant Science DOI: 10.1007/s10265-016-0859-3
- Santhosh Kumar J. U, Navdeep Gogna, Newmaster S. G, Krishna V, Ragupathy S, Seethapathy G. S, Ravikanth G, Kavitha Dorai and Uma Shaanker R, 2016. DNA barcoding and NMR spectroscopy based assessment of species adulteration in the raw herbal trade of Saraca asoca (Roxb.) Willd, an important medicinal plant. International Journal of Legal Medicine DOI 10.1007/s00414-016-1436-y
- Mohana Kumara P; Srimany A; Arunan S, Ravikanth G; Uma Shaanker R and Pradeep T, 2016. Desorption Electrospray Ionization (DESI) mass spectrometry imaging of the distribution of rohitukine, in the seedling of Dysoxylum binectariferum Hook.f. PLoS ONE 11 (6): e0158099. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0158099
- Sandeep Sen, Shivaprakash K. N, Aravind N. A, Ravikanth G and Dayanandan S 2016. Ecological niche modeling for conservation planning of an endemic snail in the verge of becoming a pest in cardamom plantations in the Western Ghats Biodiversity hot-spot. Ecology and Evolution doi: 10.1002/ece3.2368
- Bodare S, Ravikanth G, Ismail S A, Patel M. K, Spanu I, Vasudeva R, Uma Shaanker R, Vendramin G G, Lascoux M, Tsuda Y 2016. Fine- and local- scale genetic structure of Dysoxylum malabaricum, a late-successional canopy tree species in disturbed forest patches in the Western Ghats, India. Conservation Genetics DOI 10.1007/s10592-016-0877-7
- Seshadri KS, Ramit Singal, Priti H, Ravikanth G, Vidisha MK, Saurabh S, Pratik M and Gururaja KV, 2016. Microhyla laterite sp. nov., A New Species of Microhyla Tschudi, 1838 (Amphibia: Anura: Microhylidae) from a Laterite Rock Formation in South West India. PLoS ONE 11(3): e1049727 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0149727
- Priti H, Roshmi RS, Ramya B, Sudhira HS, Ravikanth G, Aravind NA and Gururaja KV, 2016. Integrative taxonomic approach for describing a new cryptic species of Bush Frog (Raorchestes: Anura: Rhacophoridae) from the Western Ghats, India. PLoS ONE 11(3): e0149382. DOI:10.1371/journal. pone.0149382
- Priti H, Aravind N. A., Uma Shaanker R and Ravikanth G., 2016. Modeling impacts of future climate on the distribution of Myristicaceae species in the Western Ghats, India. Ecological Engineering 89: 14-23
- Manjunatha B L, H R Singh, Ravikanth G, Karaba N Nataraja, Ravi Shankar, Sanjay Kumar and R. Uma Shaanker, 2016. Transcriptome analysis of stem wood of Nothapodytes nimmoniana (Graham) Mabb. identifies genes associated with biosynthesis of camptothecine, an anti-carcinogenic molecule. Journal of Bioscience DOI: 10.1007/s12038-016-9591-3
- Ugraiah A, Vinod G, Ravikanth G, Nataraja N. K and Uma Shaanker R, 2015. Establishment and standardization of in-vitro regeneration protocol in Nothapodytes nimmoniana Graham and evaluation of camptothecine (CPT) in tissue culture plants. Indian Journal of Plant Physiology 11/2015; DOI:10.1007/s40502-015-0182-3
- Subba B, Ravikanth G and Aravind N.A, 2015. Reply to Global high-altitude limits for amphibians by Tracie A. Seimon and Anton Seimon (2015). Journal of Threatened Taxa 7 (11): 7851-7852
- Subba B, Ravikanth G and Aravind N.A, 2015. Scaling new heights: First record of Boulenger’s Lazy Toad Scutiger boulengeri (Amphibia: Anura: Megophryidae) from high altitude lake in Sikkim Himalaya, India. Journal of Threatened Taxa 7 (10): 7655-7663
- Vasanthakumari M M, Jadhav S S, Sachin Naik, Vinod G, Shweta Singh, Manjunatha B L; Mohana Kumara P; Ravikanth G; Nataraja N Karaba,; Uma Shaanker R 2015. Restoration of camptothecine production in attenuated endophytic fungus on re-inoculation into host plant and treatment with DNA methyltransferase inhibitor. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology DOI 10.1007/s11274-015-1916-0
- Manasa K.M, Ravikanth G, Nataraja K.N and Uma Shaanker R, 2015. Isolation and Characterisation of endophytic fungi from saline habitat adapted plants. The Mysore Journal of Agricultural Sciences 49(2): 299-301
- Mohana Kumara P; Amitava Srimany; Ravikanth G; Uma Shaanker R and Pradeep T, 2015. Ambient ionization mass spectrometry imaging of rohitukine, a chromone anti-cancer alkaloid, during seed development in Dysoxylum binectariferum Hook.f (Meliaceae). Phytochemistry 116 (1): 104-110
- Santhosh Kumar J. U, Krishna V, Seethapathy G. S, Senthilkumar U, Ragupathy S, Ganeshaiah K. N, Ganesan R, Steven G Newmaster, Ravikanth, G and Uma Shaanker R, 2015. DNA barcoding to assess species adulteration in raw drug trade of "Bala" (Genus: Sida L.) herbal products, South India. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology 61: 501-509
- Shweta, S., Gurumurthy, B. R., Vasanthakumari, M.M., Ravikanth, G., Dayanandan, R., Shivanna, M. B. and Uma Shaanker, R. 2015. Endophytic fungal diversity in the anticancer alkaloid, camptothecine, producing plant Nothapodytes nimmoniana along its distributional gradient in the Western Ghats, India: Are CPT producing endophytes restricted to specific clades? Current Science 109 (1): 127-138
- Thriveni H N, Ravikanth G, Vasudeva R, Ganeshaiah K N and Uma Shaanker R. 2015. Camptothecine and methoxy camptothecine from callus cultures of Miquelia dentata Bedd.— A rare plant of the Western Ghats of India. Indian Journal of Biotechnology 14: 123-126
- Priti Hebbar, Gururaja K.V. and Ravikanth G. 2015. Morphology, natural history and molecular identification of tadpoles of three endemic frog species of Nyctibatrachus Boulenger, 1882 (Anura: Nyctibatrachidae) from Central Western Ghats, India, Journal of Natural History http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00222933.2015.1034212
- Senthilkumar U, Narasimhan D, Sanjappa M, Uma Shaanker R, and Ravikanth G., 2015. Species delimitation in congenerics of Genus Daemonorops from India using DNA barcodes. Communications in Plant Sciences 5 (1-2): 1-8
- Shivaprakash K. N, Ramesha B. T, Uma Shaanker R, Dayanandan S and Ravikanth G. 2014. Genetic Structure, diversity and long term viability of a medicinal plant, Nothapodytes nimmoniana Graham. (Icacinaceae), in protected and non- protected areas in the Western Ghats biodiversity hotspot. PLoS ONE 9(12): e112769. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0112769
- Seethapathy G. S, Ganesh D, Santhosh Kumar J. U, Senthilkumar U, Newmaster S. G, Ragupathy S, Uma Shaanker R and Ravikanth G.. 2014. Assessing product adulteration in natural health products for laxative yielding plants, Cassia, Senna, and Chamaecrista, in Southern India using DNA barcoding. International Journal of Legal Medicine. 11/2014
- Shweta S, Shivanna M B, Gurumurthy B R, Uma Shaanker R, Santhosh Kumar T R and Ravikanth G. . 2014. Inhibition of fungal endophytes by camptothecine produced by their host plant, Nothapodytes nimmoniana (Grahm) Mabb., (Icacinaceae)". Current Science 107 (6):994-1000
- Suma H. K, Kumar V, Senthilkumar U, Mohana Kumara P, Ravikanth G., , Santhoshkumar T. R, Uma Shaanker R, 2014. Pyrenacantha volubilis Wight, (Icacinaceae) a rich source of camptothecine and its derivatives, from the Coromandel Coast forests of India. Fitoterapia doi: 10.1016/j.fitote.2014.05.017. Fitoterapia 97 (2014) 105–110
- Srirama R, Gurumurthy B.R, Senthilkumar U, Ravikanth G., , Uma Shaanker R, Shivanna M.B 2014. Are mini DNA-Barcodes sufficiently informative to resolve species identities? An in-silico analysis using Phyllanthus. Journal of Genetics 93 (3): 823-929
- Gururaja K. V, Dinesh K. P , Priti H & Ravikanth G., 2014. Mud-packing frog: A novel breeding behaviour and parental care in a stream dwelling new species of Nyctibatrachus (Amphibia, Anura, Nyctibatrachidae). Zootaxa 3796 (1): 033–061
- Senthilkumar U., Choudhary R.K., Sanjappa M., Narasimhan D., Uma Shaanker R., and Ravikanth G., 2014. Livelihood and Revenue: Role of rattans among Mongoloid tribes and settlers of Andaman and Nicobar islands, India. Ethnobotany Research & Applications 12:141-154
- Ismail S. A., Ghazoul J., Ravikanth G., ., Kushalappa C. G., Uma Shaanker R., and Kettle. C. J. 2014. Fragmentation Genetics of Vateria indica: implications for management of forest genetic resources of an endemic dipterocarp. Conservation Genetics DOI: 10.1007/s10592-013-0559-7
- Ismail SA, Ghazoul J, Ravikanth G., , Kushalappa CG, Uma Shaanker R and Kettle. C. J. 2014. Forest Trees in Human Modified Landscapes: Ecological and Genetic Drivers of Recruitment Failure in Dysoxylum malabaricum (Meliaceae). PLoS ONE 9(2): e89437 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0089437
- Thriveni H.N, Sumangala R.C, Shivaprakash K. N, Ravikanth G., , Vasudeva R and Ramesh Babu H.N 2014. Genetic structure and diversity of Coscinium fenestratum: A critically endangered liana of Western Ghats, India. Plant Systematics and Evolution 300(3): 403-413
- Mohana Kumara P., Soujanya K.N., Ravikanth G., ., Vasudeva R., Ganeshaiah K.N., Uma Shaanker R. 2014. Production of the chromane alkaloid, rohitukine and its attenuation in endophytic fungi isolated from Dysoxylum binectariferum Hook.f and Amoora rohituka (Roxb).Wight & Arn. Phytomedicine 21(4): 541-546
- Shivaprakash K N, Ravikanth G., , Narayani Barve, Jaboury Ghazoul, Ganeshaiah K N, Uma Shaanker R 2013. Do ecological niche model predictions reflect the adaptive landscape of species? : A test using Myristica malabarica Lam., an endemic tree in the Western Ghats, India. PLoS ONE 8(11): e82066. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0082066
- Sumangala R. C., Uma Shaanker R, Dayanandhan S, Vasudeva R, and Ravikanth G., . 2013. Identification of novel microsatellite markers for Saraca asoca, a medicinally important tree species in India. Journal of Genetics DOI: 10.1007/s12041-013-0277-4
- Sumangala R. C., Mohana Kumara P, Uma Shaanker R, Vasudeva R, and Ravikanth G., 2013. Development and characterization of microsatellite markers for Dysoxylum binectariferum, a medicinally important tree species in Western Ghats, India. Journal of Genetics DOI: 10.1007/s12041-013-0274-7
- Sofia Bodare, Yoshiaki Tsuda, Ravikanth G., , R Uma Shaanker & Martin Lascoux. 2013. Genetic structure and demographic history of the endangered tree specie s Dysoxylum malabaricum (Meliaceae) in Western Ghats, India: implications for conservation in a biodiversity hotspot. Ecology and Evolution 3 (10): 3233-3248
- Sachin N, Manjunatha B. L, Mohana Kumara P, Ravikanth G., ., Shweta Singh, Suryanarayanan T. S, Ganeshaiah K. N., and Uma Shaanker R. 2013. Do endophytic fungi possess pathway genes for plant secondary metabolites? Current Science, 104 (2): 178-182.
- Ramesha B.T., Suma H.K., Senthilkumar U., Priti V., Ravikanth G., , Vasudeva R., Santhosh Kumar T.R., Ganeshaiah K.N., Uma Shaanker R. 2013. New plant sources of the anti-cancer alkaloid, camptothecine from the Icacinaceae taxa, India. Phytomedicine 20: 521– 527
- Shweta S., Hima Bindu J., Raghu J., Suma H.K., Manjunatha B.L., Mohana Kumara P., Ravikanth G., ., Nataraj K.N., Ganeshaiah K.N. and Uma Shaanker R. 2013. Isolation of endophytic bacteria producing the anti-cancer alkaloid camptothecine from Miquelia dentata Bedd. (Icacinaceae). Phytomedicine 20 : 913– 917
- Shweta Singh, Gurumurthy B. R, Ravikanth G., , Uma Shaanker R and Shivanna M. B. 2013. Endophytic fungi from Miquelia dentata Bedd., produce the anti-cancer alkaloid, Camptothecin. Phytomedicine 20: 337– 342
- Lyngdoh, N; Geeta Joshi; Ravikanth G., ., Vasudeva, R; and Uma Shaanker R. 2013. Changes in genetic diversity parameters in unimproved and improved populations of teak (Tectona grandis L.f.) in Karnataka state, India. Journal of Genetics 92 (1):141-145
- Lyngdoh, N; Gunaga R P; Geeta Joshi; Vasudeva, R; Ravikanth G., . and Uma Shaanker R. 2013. Morphological parameters and genetic diversity of progenies from seed production areas and unimproved stands of teak (Tectona grandis L.f.) in India. Journal of Forestry Research 24 (4): 653-658
- Ismail S, Buser A, Uma Shaankar R, Ravikanth G., Ghazoul J and Kettle C. J. 2013. Development of polymorphic microsatellite markers for the critically endangered and endemic Indian dipterocarp, Vateria indica L. (Dipterocarpaceae). Conservation Genetics 5 (2): 465-467
- Lyngdoh, N; Gunaga R P; Geeta Joshi; Vasudeva, R; Ravikanth, G. and UmaShaanker R. 2013 Morphological parameters and genetic diversity of progenies from seed production areas and unimproved stands of teak (Tectona grandis L.f.) in India. Journal of Forestry Research 24 (4): 653-658.
- Ismail S. A., Ghazoul J., Ravikanth G., Uma Shaanker R., Kushalappa C.G.,. Kettle C.J. 2012. Does long distance pollen dispersal preclude inbreeding in tropical trees? Fragmentation genetics of Dysoxylum malabaricum in an agro-forest landscape. Molecular Ecology 21(22):5484-96
- Lyngdoh, N; Gunaga R P; Geeta Joshi; Vasudeva, R; Ravikanth, G. and UmaShaanker R. 2012 Impact of Clonal Genetic Dissimilarity on Flowering Asynchrony in Teak Clonal Seed Orchard Silvae Genetica 61 (1-2): 10-17
- Sandeep Sen, Ravikanth G. and Aravind N.A., 2012. Land Snails (Mollusca: Gastropoda) of India: Status, Threats and Conservation Strategies Journal of Threatened Taxa 4(11): 3029–3037
- Srirama R., Deepak H.B, Senthilkumar U., Ravikanth G., Gurumurthy B.R., Shivanna M.B., Chandrasekaran C.V., Amit Agarwal, Uma Shaanker R., 2012. Hepatoprotective activity of Indian Phyllanthus . L. Pharmaceutical Biology, 50(8): 948–953
- Avik Ray, Sumangala R. C, Ravikanth G., Uma Shaanker R and Suhel Quader. 2011 Isolation and characterization of polymorphic microsatellite loci from invasive plant Lantana camara. L. Conservation Genetic Resources 4 (1): 171-173
- Ravikanth G., Srirama R., Ganeshaiah K.N. and Uma Shaanker R. 2011 In pursuit of a universal barcode of plants: peril of followers? Current Science 101(3):269-271
- Mohana Kumara P , SebastianZuehlke, Priti V, Ramesha B. T, Shweta S , G Ravikanth, Vasudeva R, Santhoshkumar, T.R, Michael Spiteller, Uma Shaanker R 2011. Fusarium proliferatum, an endophytic fungus from Dysoxylum binectariferum Hook.f, produces rohitukine, a chromane alkaloid possessing anti-cancer activity Antonie van Leeuwenhoek Journal of Microbiology 101(2):323-9.
- Ramesha BT, Gertsch J, Ravikanth G, Priti V, Ganeshaiah KN, Uma Shaanker R. 2011. Biodiversity and Chemodiversity: Future Perspectives in Bioprospecting. Current Drug Targets 12(11):1515-30
- Ramesha B T, Yetish, M. D, Ravikanth G, Ganeshaiah, K.N, Gazoul J and Uma Shaanker R. 2011. Stylish lengths: Mate choice in flowers. Journal of Bioscience 36(2), 229-234
- Ramesha B T, Zuehlke S, Vijay R.C , Priti V, Ravikanth G, Ganeshaiah, K.N, Spiteller M and Uma Shaanker R. 2011. Sequestration of camptothecin, an anticancer alkaloid, by chrysomelid beetles. Journal of Chemical Ecology 37(5):533-536
- Lyngdoh, N, Geeta Joshi, Ravikanth G, R. Uma Shaanker and Vasudeva R 2010. Influence of levels of genetic diversity on fruit quality in teak (Tectona grandis L.f.). Current Science 99(5):639-644
- Ravikanth G, Nageswara Rao, M, Ganeshaiah K.N and Uma Shaanker R, 2010. Do endemic rattans have lower genetic variability than their con-generic and con-specific non-endemic rattans? Genes, Genomes and Genomics 4 (1), 22-27
- Nageswara Rao, M, Ravikanth G, Ganeshaiah K.N and Uma Shaanker R, 2010. Role of protected area in conserving the population and genetic structure of economically important bamboo species. Bioremediation, Biodiversity and Bioavailability 4 (1), 69-76
- Ravikanth, G., R.C. Sumangala, L. Naveen Kumar, B.T. Ramesha, R. Vasudeva, K.N. Ganeshaiah, R. Uma Shaanker. 2010. Isolation and characterization of ten microsatellite markers in Semecarpus kathalekanensis, an endangered tree species in the Western Ghats, India'. Molecular Ecology Resources 10 (6):1098-1105
- Srirama R, U. Senthilkumar, Ravikanth G,, Sreejayan N, Gurumurthy B.R, Shivanna, M.B, M. Sanjappa, K.N. Ganeshaiah and R. Uma Shaanker. 2010. Assessing species admixtures in raw drug trade of Phyllanthus, a hepato-protective plant using molecular tools. Journal of Ethno pharmacology 130:208-215
- Gurudatt, P.S., V. Priti, S. Shweta, B.T. Ramesha, Ravikanth G,, R. Vasudeva, T. Amna, S. Deepika, K.N. Ganeshaiah, R. Uma Shaanker, S. Puri and N. Qazi. 2010. Attenuation of camptothecin production and negative relation between hyphal biomass and camptothecin content in endophytic fungal strains isolated from Nothapodytes nimmoniana Grahm (Icacinaceae). Current Science 98 (8): 1006-1009
- Hemmilä, S., P. Mohana Kumara, Ravikanth G,, S. Gustafsson, R. Vasudeva, K.N. Ganeshaiah, R. Uma Shaanker and M. Lascoux. 2010. Development of eleven microsatellite markers in the red-listed tree species Myristica malabarica. Conservation Genetic Resources 2(1): 305-307
- Hemmilä S, M. Lascoux, P. Mohana Kumara, N. Sreejayan, R. Vasudeva, Ravikanth G, K.N. Ganeshaiah and R. Uma Shaanker. 2010. Development of polymorphic microsatellite loci in the endangered tree species Dysoxylum malabaricum. Molecular Ecology Resources (2010) 10(2): 404-408
- Singh, Shweta., Sebastian Zuehlke, B.T. Ramesha, V. Priti, P. Mohana Kumar, Ravikanth G, Michael Spiteller, R. Vasudeva, R. Uma Shaanker. 2010. Endophytic fungal strains of Fusarium solani, from Apodytes dimidiata E. Mey. ex Arn (Icacinaceae) produce camptothecin, 10-hydroxycamptothecin and 9-methoxycamptothecin. Phytochemistry 71: 117-122
- Mohana Kumara, P., N. Sreejayan, V. Priti, B.T. Ramesha, Ravikanth G , K.N. Ganeshaiah, R. Vasudeva, J. Mohan, T. Santhoshkumar, M.P Dutt, R. Viswakarma, R. Uma Shaanker. 2009 Dysoxylum binectariferum Hook.f (Meliaceae), a rich source of rohitukine. Fitoterapia 81(2):145-148.
- Priti, V., B.T. Ramesha, Shweta Singh, Ravikanth G, K.N. Ganeshaiah, T.S. Suryanarayanan and R. Uma Shaanker. 2009. How promising are endophytic fungi as alternative sources of plant secondary metabolites? Current Science Vol 97 (4): 477-478
- Raghavendra, R., Priti Vaidyanathan, H.K. Swathi, B.T. Ramesha, Ravikanth G, K.N. Ganeshaiah, A. Srikrishna and R. Uma Shaanker. 2009. Prospecting for alternate sources of shikimic acid, a precursor of Tamiflu, a bird-flu drug. Current Science, Vol 96 (6): 771-772
- Sumangala R.C., L. Naveen Kumar, B.T. Ramesha, R. Uma Shaanker, K.N. Ganeshaiah and Ravikanth G. 2009. Development of micro satellite markers for a critically endangered species, Ceropegia fantastica from the Western Ghats, India. Conservation Genetics 10(6): 1825-1827
- Ramesha, B.T., R. Srirama, Ravikanth G, K.V. Ravishankar, S. Dayanandan, N. Sreejayan, R. Vasudeva, K.N. Ganeshaiah and R.U. Shaanker. (2009) Development of polymorphic microsatellite loci in Nothapodytes nimmoniana, a medicinally important tree from the Western Ghats, India. Molecular Ecology Resources, 9(1):365-367.
- Srirama R, Ramesha B. T , Ravikanth G, Ganeshaiah K. N and Uma Shaanker R, 2008. Are plants with anti-cancer activity resistant to crown gall?: a test of hypothesis. Current Science, 95 (10): 1407-1408
- Ravikanth, G., M. Nageswara Rao, B.S. Deepali Singh, Chaluvaraju, K.N. Ganeshaiah and R. Uma Shaanker. 2008. Contrasting spatial patterns of distribution of genetic diversity in two important bamboo species in the central Western Ghats, India. Journal of Bamboo and Rattan Vol.7 (1&2) : 41-52
- Ramesha, B.T., T. Amna, Ravikanth G, Rajesh P. Gunaga, R. Vasudeva, K.N. Ganeshaiah, R. Uma Shaanker, K. Khajuria, S.C. Puri and G.N. Qazi, 2008. Prospecting for Camptothecines from Nothapodytes nimmoniana in theWestern Ghats, South India: Identification of High-Yielding Sources of Camptothecin and New Families of Camptothecines. Journal of Chromatographic Science,46:362-368
- Nageswara Rao M., B.T. Ramesha, Ravikanth G, K.N. Ganeshaiah and R. Uma Shaanker. 2007. Cross- Species amplification of coconut microsatellite markers in rattans. Silvae Genetica 56,6,282-286
- Aravind K., G. Ravikanth, R. Uma Shaanker, K. Chandrashekara, A.R.V Kumar, and K.N. Ganeshaiah,. 2007. DNA Barcoding: An Exercise in Futility or Utility? Current Science 92(9): 1213-1216
- Suhas S., B.T. Ramesha, Ravikanth G, Rajesh P. Gunaga, R. Vasudeva, K.N. Ganeshaiah and R. Uma Shaanker. 2007. Chemical profiling of Nothapodytes nimmoniana populations in the Western Ghats, India for anti-cancer compound, camptothecin ?Current Science 92 (8): 1142-1148
- Ramesha. B.T., Ravikanth G, M. Nageswara Rao, K.N. Ganeshaiah and R. Uma Shaanker. 2007. Genetic structure of rattan, Calamus thwaitesii in core, and buffer and peripheral regions of three protected areas at central Western Ghats, India: Do protected areas serve as refugia for genetic resources of economically important plants? Journal of Genetics 86 (1): 9-18
- Aravind N.A., Bhausaheb Tambat, Ravikanth G, R. Uma Shaanker and K.N. Ganeshaiah. 2007 Patterns of species discovery in Western Ghats. Journal of Biosciences 32(4):781-790
- Lyngdoh, N., SantoshS. Hantode, B.T. Ramesha, M. Nageswara Rao, Ravikanth G, Narayani Barve, K.N. Ganeshaiah and R. Uma Shaanker. 2005 Rattan species richness and population genetic structure of Calamus flagellum in North-Eastern Himalaya, India. Journal of Bamboo and Rattans 4(3):293-307
- Bhausaheb, Tambat., G, Rajanikanth, Ravikanth G, R. Uma Shaanker, K.N. Ganeshaiah and C.G. Kushallappa. 2005. Seedling mortality in two Vulnerable tree species in the sacred groves of Western Ghats, south India. Current Science 88 (3): 350-352
- Ravikanth, G., Vasudeva R., Ganeshaiah K.N. and Uma Shaanker R., 2004. Molecular analysis of Semecarpus kathalekanensis (Anacardiaceae) – a newly described species from the Myristica swamps of Western Ghats, India. The Indian Forester 130 (1): 101-104.
- Ravikanth,G., Ganeshaiah K. N and Uma Shaanker R., 2002. Identification of hot spots of species richness and genetic variability in rattans: an approach using geographical information systems (GIS) and molecular tools. Plant Genetic Resources Newsletter 132: 17:21.
- Ravikanth, G., R.Uma Shaanker and K.N Ganeshaiah., 2000. Conservation Status of forests in India: a cause for worry? Journal of Indian Institute Science 80(6): 591-600.
AS CHAPTER IN BOOKS
- Mohana Kumara P, Shweta S, Vasanth Kumari MM, Sachin N, Manjunath BL, Sagar Jadav S, Ravikanth G, Ganeshaiah KN, Uma Shaanker R. 2013 Endophytes and plant secondary metabolite synthesis: molecular and evolutionary perspectives. In: Advances in Endophytic Research. Editors Verma, Vijay and Gange, Alan C. Springer. Pp. 177-190. DOI 10.1007/978-81-322-1575-2_9
- Ravikanth, G., Srirama R, Senthilkumar U, Ganeshaiah K.N and Uma Shaanker R. 2011. Genetic resources of Phyllanthus in Southern India-Identification of Geographic and Genetic hot-spots and its implication for conservation In: Phyllanthus species: scientific evaluation and medicinal applications. Editors: Ramadasan Kuttan and K.B. Harikumar. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis, Florida. Pp: 97-118.
- Ravikanth, G., M. Nageswara Rao, K.N. Ganeshaiah and R. Uma Shaanker. 2009. Genetic diversity of NTFP species: issues and implications. Pp.53-64 In: Non-Timber Forest Products Conservation, Management and Policies. R. Uma Shaanker, Ankila J. Hiremath, Gladwin C. Joseph and Nitin Rai(eds). Published by Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and Environment, Bangalore and Forestry Research Support Program for Asia and the Pacific, Food and Agriculture Organisation, Bangkok.
- Uma Shaanker, R., B.T. Ramesha, Ravikanth G, R. Gunaga, R. Vasudeva and K.N. Ganeshaiah. 2008. Chemical Profiling of Nothapodytes nimmoniana for Camptothecin, an Important Anticancer Alkaloid: Toward the Development of a Sustainable Production System. Pp 197-213. In Bioactive Molecules and Medicinal Plants. Ramawat K.G., Merillon J.M. (eds.) Springer Publishing, UK
- Uma Shaanker, R., K.N. Ganeshaiah, M. Nageswara Rao and Ravikanth G 2002, Forest gene banks - a new integrated approach for the conservation of forest tree genetic resources, pp 229-235, In: Managing Plant Genetic Resources, Engels, J.M.M., A.H.D. Brown, and M.T. Jackson. (eds), CABI Publishing, Nosworthy. Wallingford. Oxon. UK
- Ravikanth, G., K.N. Ganeshaiah and R. Uma Shaanker. 2001. Mapping genetic diversity of rattans in Central Western Ghats: Identification of hot-spots of variability for in situ conservation. pp 69-83, In: Forest genetic resources: Status, threats and conservation strategies, Uma Shaanker, R., K.N. Ganeshaiah and K.S. Bawa (eds), Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd.
- Cheluvaraju, Deepali Singh, B.S., M. Nageswara Rao, Ravikanth G, K.N. Ganeshaiah and R. Uma Shaanker. 2001. Conservation of Bamboo Genetic Resources in Western Ghats: Status, Threats and Strategies, pp 99-113, In: Forest genetic resources: Status, threats and conservation strategies, Uma Shaanker, R., K.N. Ganeshaiah and K.S. Bawa (eds), Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd
- Uma Shaanker.R., K.N. Ganeshaiah, M. Nageswara Rao and Ravikanth G 2001. A new approach to conservation of genetic resources of forest trees: promise and processes. pp 263-271. In: Forest genetic resources: Status, threats and conservation strategies, Uma Shaanker, R., K.N. Ganeshaiah and K.S. Bawa. (eds), Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd
- Ravikanth G. 2010. Kathala Kupadelli iruwa sasyake belakina bedagu. Vijaya Karnataka (Vigana Lavalavike) 16th Feb 2010, Page 3.
Phone: 091-080-23635555 (110)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com